3-4 days outside Thailand, starting from BKK

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mekong said:
elef said:

Hi,

why not go to Cambo - 3 days in PP and 1 day to see Angkor Wat.

elef

Good Call but 2 and 2 would be better, Angkor is vast. Now I am a little bit older and more mellow that place facinates me, a metroplolis destroyed by its own over reliance and abuse of nature with its complex canal and irrigation system. it survived ecconomicly on the fact that the citizens believed thier leader to be a god and gave betwen 40-60% of their time and/or income to the metropolis.

Fast forward to 2005, and there is another ecological disaster in the making, I don't belive for 1 minute that katrina and the one that followed were not related in some way with a certain nations refusual to sign up to the Kyoto treaty, a country where they would prefer to trade emmissions like a commodity rather than fall in the line with the rest of the world, a nation that is 5% of global population yet consumes 25% of the worlds Oil production, a nation so driven by its own hedonistic needs ... i best if I stop now ;)

There are similarities between what happened to Angkor and what could happen to America, in its day Angkor was the America of its time and was brought down by ecological, not financial problems.

For the record this is not an anti american posting, you guys have a lower %age of assholes than us brits but working in Oil and Gas in various locations (global would be too pretentious) I do question many of US goverments policies, especialy foreign affairs and energy, bullying tactics only work for so long.

Learn by history's mistakes

I reserve the right to make my opinions heard no matter who it upsets

"Us brits"? Come on, Fly, who are you kidding? Good hijack, though, I'm glad to see you haven't let your standards slip.

Just thought id declare myself the first president of nanaland.

now pay me money you bastards!!! how about 80c in the dollar as a starting tax rate, and that applies to beer too!!!

Flying out of PP will cost US$25 for the airport tax. That did surprise me somewhat since leaving by land costs nothing to leave Cambodia and enter Thailand.

Last year I left from Battambang throught Pailin and Prum. Rough ride but no exit tax.

Last month through the airport at PP...$25 tax.

Journey

journey21 said:

Flying out of PP will cost US$25 for the airport tax. That did surprise me somewhat since leaving by land costs nothing to leave Cambodia and enter Thailand.

Last year I left from Battambang throught Pailin and Prum. Rough ride but no exit tax.

Last month through the airport at PP...$25 tax.

Journey

The Khmer government and associated oligarchs/companies/politicians try every means to suck more dollars out of visitors to Cambo. But not only the Khmer. Currently only Thai airlines operate from BKK to Cambo and they control the market and don't let any low cost airlines take over the routes ot PP and Siem Reap. I have even read on another board that the airlines and airport operators are the reason that the _main_ road between LOS and Cambo hasn't improved over the years....

Concerning your trip. Fly to PP early in the morning, spend the day looking around (National Museum, palace, Russian market, e.g.), go for some relaxed beers and a nice Khmer girl to "Sharkey's" or other places. Next day take to bus to Siem Reap (it's a comfy 5 hour trip). Spend two days visiting Angkor (this is the absolute minimum) and fly back from Siem Reap.

Go to Angkor now!!! They will turn it into a tourist Disneyland soon, if they can...

:banghead:

More info at www.talesofasia.com

The $25, at PNH, is to pay for the brand new terminal. The old one was kind of funky. and broken down. It was built by Pol Pot, no doubt. Bangkok Airways has a lovely lounge, with snacks and internet. There seems to be much better security. It's almost worth the $25.

If you go in by land from LOS, you will be charged 1000 baht or $25 US. If you quietly and patiently tell the immigration officer once that the fee is $20 US, pretend to have no baht...look penitent but serious, and ask for a receipt, you will get in for $20US. That's is what I did. It was in July and hotter than the hinges of hades in that tin shack in Prum.

Actually, after getting over that little obstacle, they were very pleasant and even wanted to practice their limited English. It was nothing to get upset about and beat wandering around in the sun.

There is more to that adventure but will have to wait for another day.

Journey

Archived