Curtains

Damen

The price of window treatments in the US are insane. I have a new place with very high ceilings (18ft) and was looking to have curtains cover the windows on one wall.

Since this is not a standard size, they must be custom made. I could go to LOS for a week based on some of the quotes I received :banghead:

Now I'm thinking I'll be better off purchasing those curtains in LOS and bringing em back from my next visit. Anybody have an idea where I could get them made?

Ya, there are lot's of places. I am sure I have a few biz cards lying about, but I am not home right now.

It seems to me that we paid about B30K in 2001 for custom-made drapes for the main room covering the sliding door (maybe 7' tall by 10' wide), master suite bay window (10' tall by 25' wide) and the girl's rooms (10' tall by 6' wide x 4). They threw in a small window treatment for the maid's room for free.

Cheers,

SD

I have a friend that I just turned loose to redecorate my bedroom, curtains, bed spread, and all the other trimmings. If you like I'll contact her for prices on your curtains. So far she has done excellent work for other friends at very reasonable prices. She will need measurements in English or inches. She is Filipina but a citizen of New Zealand. Very Talented. She lives in Ft. Walton Beach Florida. Easy to look at too!

damen said:

The price of window treatments in the US are insane. ...<snip>..Now I'm thinking I'll be better off purchasing those curtains in LOS and bringing em back from my next visit. Anybody have an idea where I could get them made?

I've a good friend...in Pattaya...who has been making curtains for 15-years, in BKK and now Pattaya. A year ago she finally opened her own shop. Through her, I've learned much about the curtain biz. I've been helping her (she not my GF!) market her business. She does fantastic work...even having made the silk curtains for the King's yacht! Her work is so good that I tell friends that I'll give 'em their money back if the workmanship (not the materials and design chosen) is not top notch! I know I'll never have a problem. Her work is also less costly that the other shops, as she discounts in order to increase business.

If interested, contact me. And, _no_, I do not get anything from her, other than the satisfaction of helping her and her baby.

I'm not certain of her ability to measure in metric. Metric rulers and tapes are rare around here. I know we were going to convert years ago, but they forgot to tell everyone namely the manufacturers of the tapes. If it is feet or inches, I can make sure it is right.

whosyourdaddy said:

Prices are insane here for custom made curtains. A normal side window will cost between 4000-11000B. In the end we bought ordinary window curtains from here: http://www.pasaya.com/pasaya.php

WYD...actually curtains can be relatively inexpensive compared to the West. Labor here, as you know is minimal. The majority of the cost is the fabric...as well as the design.

A 'Louis 14th' style curtain will cost a pile more than a basic design, given they both use the same price of fabric. Add a valance to a curtain...it means more fabric and an additional curtain rod. Curtain rods also vary in price. There are many variables to consider. And, as I've learned, some shops add extra yardage in their estimate to the actual measurement, but buy only the yardage needed...as it boosts their profit.

And some shops produce poor workmanship. Like anything else, it's simply buyer beware.

Archived