Hello and a question..

Hi there..

I've just returned from my third trip to the land of smiles and I can't help but start planning the next one.. (A predictable greeting, I know)

I wonder if if any of you can give me a bit of info. Every time I take the ride to or from Dom Muang I wonder what we pass on either side of the expressway. I mean, I've been to the far reaches of the skytrain, Rachada, bang na and various other places in my travels in and around Bangkok, but its all Sukhumvit / Siam / Silom centric. I can't help wondering what all the buildings / areas on the way out to the airport are. Just office buildings? 'Greater Bangkok'? Why is there a convention centre in the middle of nowhere? Is this the bangkok I should really be seeing, or will I get my head kicked in by an anti-falang mob? AM I MISSING OUT!?? :)

Please settle my curiousity!

Thanks a lot everyone!

That elephant building used to fascinate me and one time I told a girl I was with to take me there, it turned out that the IMAX was very near to it.

Last couple of years or so I've been caught up in a number of relationships with girls I've met online and they invariably live in the suburbs, I enjoy going out to see the non tourist/farang orientated areas and observe ordinary thais enjoying thai life. I've never felt threatened by thais and have always been welcomed, sometimes the brunt of jokes in comedy clubs, but as I'm not a sensetive type I just smile along with the rest of them.

JP

shrollskii said:

come on.. spill the beans.. I reckon you all just pretend to hang out in nana plaza and 'the sixth massive sign on the left' is where the party's really at! :)

Dude, seriously, do you think that the whole of Bangkok is some kind of carnal Disneyland? Bangkok is a city of 10+ million people. The farang P4P scene comprises maybe 0.5% of that population. That is all there is.

What's in the rest of the city? Normal folks who work normal jobs and the infrastructure to support them: apts, restaraunts, little corner bars, shops, etc. as in any other city in the world. re there other places to go? Sure, there is a funky little pub over there, a nice eatery there, a massage place on the other side of town just like in your home town wherever it may be. But no place where the P4P scene is concentrated as it is at NEP and Patpong.

Cheers,

SD

Sorry, my second message was a bit childish - I'm interested in moving off the beaten tourist track and I don't want to abandon Bangkok to do it.

I've always stuck my nose up at the backpacking crowd in Khau San (sp) Road because I feel they miss the point - I mean, going to bangkok and thinking that that's the real deal; not even being aware that bangkok has a skytrain and metro, or that they could spend a couple of hours relaxing in the VIP cinema in Siam Discovery or wandering round lumpini park instead of cramming into Gullivers to start drinking again.

However, that outlook illustrates my blinkered view - I'm living like a rich businessman, and I'm well aware that I'm missing just as much!

Well - in fairness I'll actually be the one who's just off the plane, pulling on the siren in Hollywood 2. :)

I'd like to see more of Bangkok even if there's nothing to see. P4P will still be there when I come back!

I mean, going to bangkok and thinking that that's the real deal; not even being aware that bangkok has a skytrain and metro

--------------------------

That's assuming a lot. What is true is that few go to BKK or Thailand to dig into the country, this, if any, is done usually thru sticking to a favorite activity that defines LOS for 95% of tourists going there. Be it P4P, Khao San Rd ghetto, Samui raving, beach-combing etc..... People usually do one thing in Thailand, the rest is of little interest to them.

To each his own, but i see little difference between staying solely around Khao san Rd with one's type and P4P-ing around NEP with another type. Proof is, your OP.

Have you ever been to Chinatown? Visited the Weekend Market at Chatuchak Park? Taken a boat trip up or down the river? Been to Sanam Luang to ogle the cute gals at Thammasat and Silpakorn Universities? Seen the Golden Mount? The Temple of Dawn? Taken a trip over to Nakorn Pathom or up to Ayutthaya?

There are plenty of things you can do in the daytime -- and still be able to hit the bars at night. I've lived here for years and most of the time the bars bore me silly. Still it's nice to know they are there when I feel like going to them!

:beer:

Archived