Hello and a question..

Saphan Kwai still had a wild GI strip when I first came here. It long predates Nana and Cowboy, even used to be bigger than Patpong. Spent quite a few nights in the bars there in the mid '70s, sit down places -- not go-go. Nowadays, it helps to speak passable Thai and to have a good sense of what's going on around you at SK. Some of the Thai guys don't really appreciate Farangs coming into "their" bars.

• 2 weeks later...

I havenlt had any problems but some bars more welcome than others.

The one I frequent I almost think WANTS to have more farangs there.

The dancing I believe is better than the average gogo bar even, more like a kinky upmarket place, very good in fact.

I am off to the heiniken festival, somewher in that area

so come on whats the score on saphan kway 'thai' bars exactly guys & which bar exactly is to be recommended?

I assume we're talking area end of sutthisan where it bends just before coming to the yak SK(pradipat) no?

doesn't look much from outside, but for some reason I never managed to actually visit any yet, so lets say I'm still a bit curious ;)

With all due respect OP mentioned quiete a bit of places outside the usual NEP punter ghetto such as bang na(whatever he did there!), rachada, siam etc.

The guy has some very thoughs so I'll recommend a few places to go apart from simply 'look around'.

In addition to visit the girls you meet homes/neighbourhoods(this really IMO is the best guides you can get) I suggest you hit some moreless overlooked sights in the outskirts of the city:

*rama IX park(suan luang) - huge virtually deserted beautiful escape from the cities noise & crowds(near bangna and/or seacon sq mall(also worth a visit)

http://bangkok.metblogs.com/archives/2005/04/rama_ix_park_ak_1.phtml

*3-headed elephant(chang erawan museum) way out on suk rd some 5km past yak bang na perhaps?

*victory monument - great place to hang, eat, drink, shop or just watch the buz of the city ;)

*cross the river on foot(dont swim) & explore thonburi hood!! preferably pinklao bridge(near national museum,thammasat,khaosan,sanam luan etc.)

*ekamai soi23 temple - well this is a small peculiar temple I happen to like 'cos it just don't look much like any other temple around town & you may just like it or see something else interesting on the way there ;)

happy exploring!

so what if the river is polluted so is all the canals & it seems most people have no trouble crossing them by way of a bridge of course!

its just the view is so much better on some of the chaya praya bridges, but each to his own I'm merely suggesting out of the well throdden path options & as it seems to put at least 1 guy off it seems to be a valid one ;)

victory is also where the 2,5h van to huahin or 1h van to auyttha can be boarded. if one must do keep an eye out for the babes it seems :o

Archived