<sigh> Has the NEP disease spread to Cowboy?

Since I am more of an infrequent observer and listen to what is going on around me(in Thai) I tend to feel as SD says that they simply get used to impolite Farangs and as such tend to take liberties with their more traditional manners.This is the positive spin.The other side is that many of these girls come from difficult backgrounds and quite a few are not very well brought up. (to put it mildy.) There is always the exception . :)The one BG I got involved with some 10 years ago knew her manners even though she was quite the little con artist. ::So...both cases are probably true.It seems here is always a gem lurking about amongst the riff raff-

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a BG wai's you first, do you wai back?

That is a tell tale sign of a greenhorn. Wai'ing someone who serves you makes you look silly and will make them feel uncomfortable. Think of wai'ing someone in a situation like that just like if someone held out their hand to you for a handkshake in the west and you left it hanging. Yes, it is the opposite. For their sake, don't disrespect them by wai'ing back! A smile and a nod will do.

LMF: As Neo said, exactly. A tip about wai-ing...if you do not understand the complexity and how to do it correctly, just nod and smile (unless you are 100% sure that the person you are wai-ing is *at least* equal to you). You'll be better off in the long run.

There is much to it: who goes first, where your hands are placed, do you dip your head or not, etc., based upon the social standing of the two folks in question. Fastenating, really, how smoothly the Thais make it work.

Cheers,

SD

the Parents of a BG.........agree with you.

travelled with my #1 Girl to her Home Village (about 3 Hours drive SE of Nong Khai,near the Laos Border) and i knew i would meet her Father.

i wanted to show respect and asked my Girl how was the correct way to Wai Him.

she explained it in much detail but said there was no need it was not expected,but i was determined to greet Him with respect.

when we met i Wai'd and he put out his hand waiting for the traditional handshake.

a funny situation and a compromise came about as i shook his hand and he wai'd me.

it broke the ice and with a smile on his face the beer was opened.......... :chili:

Agree with wai thing, the barest of nods and a smile, or barely a grin - just as an acknowledgement seems about ok in most situations.

As I my interactions are mainly involving handing over money - it is rare that I am in the position where the waiing could be described as "important", I just try and make sure that I get my handshake in first or depending on the circumstances a cheery hello and a grin and a quick move on from "the moment" (probably rude as f#ck to the locals ::).

Having said that I have been know to wai the odd bg, especially after a few beers, dunno why, probably a reflex to mimick - but I don't care as it means f#ck all to me.........as well :D

Archived