Writing Contest

Central Scrutinizer

Members. Please don't forget to take the time to read the wonderful stories entred for the Writing Contest. There is only one day left to do this and your time and effort will be greatly appreciated. These guys took the time to write up their stories for us to enjoy and it would be a shame if everyone didn't at least give these entries some consideration and your votes. There are quite a few good stories there to consider. Please read and vote on your favorites. Time is getting short.

Thanks to all who entered, participated, and voted.

Cent

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flash, RB,

I counted up the votes. 63. If all who voted voted their three votes that means only 21 people actually voted. Really would have liked many more voting than that.

I was thinking of trying to get another contest going for this coming April 06. 2 writing contests a year would be okay and realistic I feel. Would like to start soliciting and taking entries the first of the year, which would give members plenty of time to write up and send in their entries. I think if KS starts placing the entries right into a folder in the contest forum as he recieves them it will also give members a longer time period over which to read them all and finally to vote when the time comes to vote on them. It looks like we need to give more time for members to be able to read everything provided, the ones that want to and would like to. I know I was pressed for time and had a hard time reading the all entries. I voted on the next to last day myself.

We'll kick around some more ideas with KS and see what we can do to maybe get more to participate and vote on the entries. Just wish more of the readers had taken the time to vote for their three favorites.

But congrats to the four finalists. Some good stories there, and thanks to all the members who took the time to write up their good stories and enter them. All of them were good reads. My particular favorite was number 11 by Rakit. I was surprised that one didn't do better in the voting really. Enjoyed that one a lot.

Cent

Cent said:

Flash, RB,

I counted up the votes. 63. If all who voted voted their three votes that means only 21 people actually voted. Really would have liked many more voting than that.

t

Actually, only 10 people voted...maybe less. As OH urged me, "vote early and vote often". :)

(Joking)

It really doesn't take too long to read all of the entries. It probably only took me a total of maybe an hour or so.

Suggestion: for next contest, on the voting ballot, next to "Entry 1" (for example), place the title of the piece. That way you don't have to go back and refresh your memory. (My "short term" memory gets worse by the week :) )

Yeah, I agree that Rakit's story was well crafted and interesting...and surprised that it didn't get more votes. Still, the voting was clearly bunched for the top four entries.

It does take time to put thoughts on "paper", and, I, also, thank all of those who submitted entries. I found them all entertaining, each in their own ways.

HH

Hugh,

"Suggestion: for next contest, on the voting ballot, next to "Entry 1" (for example), place the title of the piece. That way you don't have to go back and refresh your memory. (My "short term" memory gets worse by the week)"

Yes, good suggestion. I found that a bit of a pain myself. Titles next to each entry number would make it much easier for the voters to pick their favorites without having to check back to the entries.

Cent

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Cent, I got caught by surprise being out of town and all. Maybe other members were surprised too? As a suggestion, could some of the future contests be closer to the farang holidays? This way one could to really kick back and read to our heart's content before voting? I'll check the latest efforts for this contest.

A sidenote for you Cent. You once recommended a specific Frank Zappa album to me. Sorry, I forgot the title. I'm totally new to Frank's music. (yeah, I heard the Valley Girl song but I know there's much more I missed out.) Can you recommend one to me again? I was in great record store called "Amoeba" in Hollywood, CA for the first time last week and was simply overwhelmed by the amount of Zappa albums.

Thanks!

Archived