Photo contest October online

khunsanuk

edit: I have to take that word "bet" out of my vocabulary. I don't like it anymore! :(........ ;)

"guess" works OK but that gets tedious too after a while I guess. :)

I didn't enter the competition so I'm unbiased. But I voted. The 2 pics I like best are doing OK (high 7's) if that means anything.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Hiding the voting could be done if we ran the voting as a poll KS?"

Sorry, but I doubt that would work. Too much hassle for most people as they need to switch between the board and the gallery.

It will also not be easy to see which pics are in the lead (again one would need to check the poll and then flick back to the gallery).

Sanuk!

khunsanuk said:

It will also not be easy to see which pics are in the lead (again one would need to check the poll and then flick back to the gallery).

I think the point is to NOT see who is winning (only you can) until the contest is over. Too easy to just vote for the leader...

Cheers,

SD

Hi,

OK, point taken. Still doesn't negate the other point though that people will likely not bother to move back and forth between board and gallery.

Did notice there is a newer version of the gallery software available (have asked Jigger to install it), and that one has a contest option. Unfortunately it doesn't sound right for us; it allows users to just select 1 photo which they think is the best.

Sanuk!

suadum said:

I think the point is to NOT see who is winning (only you can) until the contest is over. Too easy to just vote for the leader...

Cheers,

SD

I think you're right (for a change :neener: ). No need to see how the voting is going. No need to see comments either, until AFTER one has voted on ALL...then comment.

HH

khunsanuk said:It will also not be easy to see which pics are in the lead (again one would need to check the poll and then flick back to the gallery).

Sanuk!

KS...That's how I voted for the writing contest entries. I read them all first. Then read them again...at least the ones I liked the most. Wrote the names down with the number of the entry and then went back to the voting board.

Maybe we're taking this whole thing more seriously than we need to? Dunno. But I think all of the comments and suggestions have merit and are worth discussing (even if they aren't possible/practical).

HH

Maybe we're taking this whole thing more seriously than we need to?

I agree, personally I think the gallery/voting system is fine as it is. The comments are good, good to see how the entries are going in the lead up to the end. Generally photos which have been plaguerised get caught out by members who are on the ball, and unfair/unsportsman like voting is generally caught out.

It aint broken, so why try to fix it? Just IMHO of course...

I say we keep it the same, it's easy to use, vote, comment and see the entry in all one pageview.

Hi Red, HH and all others,

For the writing contest I voted in the same way HH, but I can see that it may be too much hassle for some posters to move back and forward all the time.

Like Red says, I also do like the comments and think that they should stay visible, it'd be great however if there's a convenient way to hide the voting.

Archived