Why can't Thais say the letter 'R'?

mikem55

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, many thais can't pronounce 'R' coz they've got problem with their tongue because they doesn't speak english since they were born. So it's hard for them to pronouce 'R' like american or english accent coz their tongue are not used to this. But also many of them can pronounce 'R'like foreigner. Anyway, Thais also can't pronouce 'L'or 'H' like foreigner too. Well, you can ask thai people to pronouce >>"computer, sticker, peter or major" and let's see how they will pronounce those words smile.gif" border="0

The Thai initial "r" is linguistically completely different from the initial "r" in English -- even though they are romanized the same way! That is why the "r" comes out sounding funny in English.

Uhh... try listening to the Thai news sometime. They ususally have a Bangkok accent. Lots of 'R' sounds. People from Issan mostly speak Lao as their first language, and they don't have an R sound so usually just use an L sound. Some thai's even have rolling R's!

Ending a word with an R is another matter, which all thai's have a hard time with. Thai does not have this sound, in fact the character for R is pronounced as an N in this case (hence 'royan garden' in pattaya)

Bit of trivia for the day: Did you know there are more speakers of Lao in Thailand than there are in Laos?

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: worldwalker ]

I've run into the rolling r's too. It seems to be easier to pronounce an r (rolling) when it is at the beginning of a word.

When I went shopping I would ask the vendor tao rai, to which my TGF would repeat to the vendor as tao rrrai. I was expecting to hear tao lai. I was quite surprised to hear it the first time.

• 4 weeks later...

Thais still pronouns better than this -

When I first heard this in Singapore - couldn't believe I was told that I was wrong!

They pronouns "r" as "are-rer".

Like a two syllable alphabet!!

That's so ridiculous - as they are suppose to be much better educated nation in Asian countries.

shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

A friend of mine from Laos who has lived here in the frozen north for over fifteen years still says 'callot' instead of carrot and almost always uses an 'l' sound instead of 'r' if that consonant is in the middle of a word. If the word starts with 'r', she has no problem. Mai pen lai(rai)...

Rambutan

Archived