"Welcome To Hell" - inside a Thai prison

Stickman

I bought ?Welcome To Hell? yesterday afternoon at an Asia Books branch which was overflowing with copies of it. I finished reading it last night. This is another of the ?what it?s like inside a Thai prison books? a la Warren Fellows and the English bird whose name escapes me who authored ?Forget You Had A Daughter?.

What perhaps sets this book apart from the other two is the brutality with which the author, Colin Martin, describes Thailand, the Thai police, the Thai ?justice? system, Thai prisons and various other aspects of life in Thailand. I was VERY surprised that Asia Books decided to publish it.

It?s a good read and well worth picking up. It?s hardly a literary masterpiece but it is compulsive. I couldn?t put it down and read it cover to cover in a few hours.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And this in a country where the authorities have gotton away with extra-judicially killing 3,000 suspected drug suspects (one of whom was a 4 year old boy sitting in the lap of his drug suspect dad.) I am sure I will still be surprised when I read the book. I continue to be surprised every day.

In a different vein, if you want to read something on Thai history, particularly contemporary history, that doesn?t sugar coat the subject, look for books by Chris Baker and Pasuk Phongpaichit. Their book on Thaksin is excellent; a real eye opener. It is called: "Thaksin: The Business of Politics in Thailand." They also have a new book out called, ?Thailand: A History?, which primarily focuses on the last 30 years of Thai history. Although it was just released, it is now virtually impossible to find.

There is a Movie I saw a few years ago and again recently," Broken Palace". But this movie gives a very low rating of places to stay in Thailand. But they do have Westerners in that movie incarcerated. With what I saw in this picture, I would rate this place at a negative 5000 stars. You don't want to go there.

An local I grew up surfing with from San Francisco disappeared for a while and then we discovered from his family

he was in Phuket prison doing a life sentance for heroin smuggling out of Don Muang(8kg) the dumb shit... :: ::He almost died in prison (after eight years)and they finally let him out with a huge bribe. (40-50kUS I heard)He walked into the local surf shop weighing 105 pounds -really ugly.No place to ever, ever, ever go.

I also have a friend that spent a weekend down in the immigration pen on Suan Plu which he said was pretty bad just to start with. :( :(

Gadfly1 said:

And this in a country where the authorities have gotton away with extra-judicially killing 3,000 suspected drug suspects (one of whom was a 4 year old boy sitting in the lap of his drug suspect dad.) I am sure I will still be surprised when I read the book. I continue to be surprised every day.

I am sorry but..... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: .... Have you checked the CIA thread ?

Who are you / we to judge ?

BB

Archived