MS Access

ultras67

Quick question -

Can I convert a MS access file into a txt file?

The reason for asking is to check some work i have done on a database but - heres the killer. They have just upgraped their email system which bans the downloading of MDB files because of security risks. Which is just simply superb for a college where one of the subjects they teach by distance learning is Databases & Desktop Publishing.

Wonderful - they suggested I post the pages of the files to them but since nothing is guaranteed to arrive they thought I could change the MDb extention to a TXT entension. But, I cant see anyway of doing this in Windows Explorer.

I know one of you guys will help me on this :):bow:

You should just be able to change the file name. From Explorer, just right click on the file, change the extension, and save. Windows will complain about it, but just say yes. Be sure that the receiver knows to rename it back to .mdb.

Or you could Zip it if that is allowed.

Quizzing tonight?

Regards,

SD

suadum said:

You should just be able to change the file name. From Explorer, just right click on the file, change the extension, and save. Windows will complain about it, but just say yes. Be sure that the receiver knows to rename it back to .mdb.

Or you could Zip it if that is allowed.

Quizzing tonight?

Regards,

SD

ah har! A zip file, good idea. I tried the explorer but couldnt find the right bit to change it. ah well, will explain all at the quiz.

By default, in windows explorer, known file extensions are NOT shown.

In windows explorer, you have to go to the menu: Tools/Folder Options/[VIEW Tab]

And make sure, "Hide extensions for known file types" is NOT checked.

Then you can see all the file extensions and change them if you choose menu: FILE/RENAME.

Depending on what system you are using for email, you would not want to change the file extension to TXT as some mailers won't send the file in binary format. COM or any other extension than TXT or ASC would be better.

<<burp>>

Archived