October's winners

khunsanuk

Hi,

BTW, guys, I'll update the descriptions to include the entrant's name over the weekend. It takes quite a bit of time and I don't feel like doing it now :)

For those who can't wait, here's the list:

1	Luk Dod
2	Pattaya127
3	Prudent Rabbit
4	Torneyboy
5	Pe7e
6	Emmitt
7	Old Hippie
8	Old Hippie
9	Rakit
10	Limbo
11	Limbo
12	Hugh_Hoy
13	Junglebunny
14	Junglebunny
15	Stickman
16	Stickman
17	Hugh_Hoy
18	Cent
19	Cent
20	KhunSanuk
21	McQueen
22	Suadum
23	Suadum
24	McQueen
25	stevescottcfi
26	RedBaron
27	NewPetchbur Pete
28	NewPetchbur Pete
29	Pattaya127
30	Khun_Kong
31	Khun_Kong

Sanuk!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

entry 10,entry 11

--------------------------

Most shots can be improved with just a little detail or care, people are often ticked (not consciously most of the times) by how well enough a shot is framed, which your "darker" shot was. Just having in the frame enough of the space she was absent-mindedly looking into, made the shot nice to look at, conveyed the feeling, and added character, both to her and the image. Maybe it lacked punch according to the theme, but that's another story.

Your other shot, there is too much dead space around her, if what you want to show is on a people's face, get closer, or zoom in, and try to apply the 1/3 rule, whereas the main subject is placed off-center, 1/3 from the frame edge (up to you, really, but off-centered anyway).

Doing this, the other space, even empty, becomes a curtain, a background, a context (even if only thru its color) something part of the picture rather indifferent space around the subject. It adds interest or dynamic, the eye wallows around the frame more naturally and people react to the shot better than just looking at a picture of your subject.

Rules are meant to be broken of course. Though you know you are breaking it in that case, and the purpose behind doing it. if you look at shots in any paper/magazine, you will see it's one much relied upon, that 1/3rd rule.

OK - I quite likedd the girl winking but not a portrait, more a illustrative or pop shot, KK's photo of the uncomfortable farang I really liked, Marked it quite high, (just after sticks) More a journolist type picture but it said so much it kinda almost fitted the definition.

In fact in another catagory it would be in my mind a easy winner

DOG

All,

#18--old uncle from the moo baan. Uses that stick to walk, as he has serious curvature of the spine from years in the rice fields. Nice guy, old bugger (around 80), who still enjoys a smoke and a drink.

#19--the MIL actually. Shows the ravages of the betel nut habit. Here she was having way too much fun at the Village Spirit Rocket Rain Festival-where they take an old wok that is black with use and rub the black from the wok on everyone's fac for good luck in the following year. Symbolizes a good rice crop with much to eat the coming year. Rockets are to appease the spirits and bring on the rain.

Congrats Stick and P127. Good pics deserving the win in my opinion. Thought mine would do better, but as a "portrait" they weren't staged, just action shots at the time that I captured. Although I thought they'd do better due to the "character" they showed. Such is life. On to the next contest, which I will win! :-) There were some excellent pics in this month's contest. I hope this continues, and more join in on the fun.

Cent

p.s. I had to tone these pics way down as for some reason they came out very light in the bright sunlight. Still trying to figure out why they were so light.

I liked the new bradpittchaburi pix, handsome and happy to be in LOS, after an infernal movie shooting schedule, i am sure!! :D :D :D

My fav' was Rakit's, a 100% reversal on his pix last month, that's versatility! Actually, i'd have bet it was OH's pix. Shot from a lower angle, it would have had more punch, IMO. And lukdod's is still a winner in my book.

pattaya127 said:My fav' was Rakit's, a 100% reversal on his pix last month, that's versatility! Actually, i'd have bet it was OH's pix. Shot from a lower angle, it would have had more punch, IMO. And lukdod's is still a winner in my book.

Thanks for the mention of my entry. However, now I've a major problem as I've no other pictures in my archive suitable for entry in future months. Alas, K. Sanuk has deemed it necessary that the subjects in the pictures must be clothed... ::

Archived