Another Noob Coming to Bangkok

Aggie91

Yes, apparently we're everywhere! ;-)

I am a DOD civilian contractor in Iraq and need a short break. Soooo, in late January I'll be making my first trip to Bangkok (or anywhere in SE Asia, for that matter).

I have what may be an odd or uncommon question: What bars and clubs can I go to where I WON'T be set upon by bargirls? I'm not coming to BKK with the intent of experiencing 'intimate' encounters (though I might indulge in a soapy massage sans 'extras').

BKK is a short and inexpensive trip to a place that is 180 degrees different from Iraq. I plan on taking advantage of a few organized tours and definitely would welcome some recommendations for the following:

- Bars that serve good, stout (eg Guiness, Sheaf, etc.) beer

- Authentic Thai restaurants

- Authentic Indian restaurants

- Good Chinese/Asian buffet

- Best traditional Thai massages

- Best (assuming you can quantify this) soapy massages

I plan on staying at the President Solitaire, though that is not yet set in stone. I'll be "in town" some time in the Jan 27 - Fab 2 time frame, though probably not all those days.

I have lurked on the forums for awhile. Great site!

Andy.

Roger that!

Thanks, DOG!

Given the amount of time I am putting into research and such, it will be interesting (and exciting) to see how the 'real' Bangkok measures up! Definitely looking forward to experiencing as many different things as my limited time will allow.

May I suggest a change of venue IF you are not interested in "company". If you like the President properties, then the President Park is in a much less "in-yer-face" neighborhood.

This is a big city, so there are many answers to your question. But within walking distance from the Prez Park on Suk soi 24, I will add:

- Bars that serve good, stout (eg Guiness, Sheaf, etc.) beer Robin Hood, Bull's Head, Dubliner. Londoner Brew Pub is nearby too...while they do not have a homemade stout, their bitter is quite drinkable. All are clustered about Suk soi 33.

- Authentic Thai restaurants This is Thailand. We do not have those here LOL! Try Oam Thong or Thong Thong on Suk soi 33; Or food carts on the street anywhere (there is a big gaggle of 'em at Suk soi 38, not far from Prez Pk).

- Authentic Indian restaurants Rang Mahal in the Rembrant Hotel, Suk soi 18

- Good Chinese/Asian buffet Sunday brekky at the Queens Park Hotel, Suk soi 22.

- Best traditional Thai massages Garden Spa, washington Square, Suk soi 22

- Best (assuming you can quantify this) soapy massages I'll leave this one alone since you mentioned you did not want company and this activity is all about "company" and nothing about "massage". But if still game, try Meree, Evita or Bangkok Cozy on New Petchburi Rd (need a taxi for this) or Darling on Suk soi 12 via Skytrain (or walk if you are a masochist)

Cheers,

SD

SD,

Thanks much!

I'll check into the President Park.

Re: Soapy massage, yeah, I still haven't made up my mind on that one yet.

I am really looking forward to food adventures. A buddy coming with me has had some recent neck vertebrae problems. I'm hoping the traditional massage will help with that.

Wat Po is where the traditional massages are taught! So why not go to the source. It's right behind the Grand Palace (the real palace, not the hotel), so you can combine some sight seeing.

That area is also not very far from Pahurat, Bangkok's "India Town". My favourite is the Royal India in Pahurat, almost opposite the big Sikh temple (a copy of the one in Amritsar). Very good selection of Indian dishes at decent prices, plus Indian sweets like nowhere else in Bangkok. The Royal India has been written up several times as one of the best in Bangkok.

For beer you might try one of the mini-breweries like Tawan Daeng. They make their own beer, with a German brewmaster supervising it. Quite decent suds there.

Do take a gander into the Soi Cowboy bars, even if you don't plan on any "extra-curricular" activities. Coming to Bangkok and not seeing the bars would be like going to Rome and not visiting the Coliseum.

If you're looking for a relaxing time, not per say focussed on girl-hunting, then I would not stay in Bangkok that long and especially not lower-Sukhumvit where everything seems geared to the girlie bar scene. I'd go to Chiang Mai, frankly, for a bit of everything. But then again I'm biased. :)

Archived