F.D.A. Reports Reduced Risks With Condoms :-)

kamui

To my surprise the US goverment learnt something completely new. :D

F.D.A. Reports Reduced Risks With Condoms

The New York Times

By GARDINER HARRIS

Published: November 11, 2005

WASHINGTON, Nov. 10 - Used correctly, latex condoms greatly reduce the risks of pregnancy and disease, the Food and Drug Administration said Thursday in a 63-page report.

Prepared in response to a five-year-old law, the report is to form the basis for labels for condom packaging and provide more up-to-date information about effectiveness.

The federal drug regulators found that latex condoms are "highly effective" at preventing infection by H.I.V., gonorrhea, chlamydia, trichomoniasis and hepatitis B, largely because all of these diseases are spread through penile contact.

But the agency noted that condoms seem to be less effective against genital herpes, human papillomavirus, syphilis and chancroid because lesions from these diseases may appear on skin not covered by condoms, the report said.

Protection against human papillomavirus, which can cause cervical cancer, "is partial at best," it stated. Still, condoms provide some protection against each of these diseases, the F.D.A. concluded. Also, the report said, "These studies show that the typical pregnancy rate after six months' reliance on condoms is 5.4 percent to 7.9 percent."

But Senator Tom Coburn, the Oklahoma Republican who sponsored the legislation that produced the report, immediately criticized its contents.

"Today's misleading recommendations by the F.D.A. are the latest example where the agency has put the public at risk by providing inaccurate information about condoms," said Mr. Coburn, a physician who has said that condom labels provide exaggerated and dangerous reassurance that condoms protect against sexually transmitted disease.

Mr. Coburn said the Food and Drug Administration had not required condom manufacturers to conduct clinical trials.

The F.D.A. has often become the focal point of battles involving abortion and reproductive politics. In recent months, an intense battle has erupted over its delay in deciding whether Plan B, an emergency contraceptive pill, should be allowed to be sold over the counter. The agency's approval in 2000 of an abortion pill enraged abortion opponents.

That same year, Mr. Coburn, as a House member, sponsored the legislation requiring the agency to reassess condom labels.

Mr. Coburn and Representative Mark Souder, Republican of Indiana, complained that the agency overstated condoms' protection against the virus that causes cervical cancer.

"This dangerous assurance overlooks the fact that condoms will not protect a user from contracting or spreading the sexual disease to others," Mr. Souder said in a statement.

The report also discusses the risks and benefits of condoms that use as a lubricant the spermicide Nonoxynol-9. Studies suggest that this spermicide may increase the risks of infection by sexually transmitted diseases because it irritates vaginal and anal skin, the report said.

The report dealt only with latex condoms.

As I recall, the whole purpose of the study was to ascertain the shortcomings of condoms so that the could be labeled with a warning that they are not effective against some diseases.

I am glad to see that apparently some science was brought to bear. I would guess that the panel was hand picked to assure that the administration's desired result would be reported.

'Used correctly, latex condoms greatly reduce the risks of pregnancy and disease, the Food and Drug Administration said Thursday in a 63-page report'

and what is their advice to someone like me who is allergic to Latex?

if i come into contact with latex then i get quite ill and have had to been taken into Hospital in the past.

do they have advice for me?......

"

To my surprise the US goverment learnt something completely new.

F.D.A. "

wasnt it the us fda that spent big bux on a study and found if your parents did not have childern, chances are you will not have any either?

sayjann said:

and what is their advice to someone like me who is allergic to Latex?

if i come into contact with latex then i get quite ill and have had to been taken into Hospital in the past.

do they have advice for me?......

How about Polyurethane condoms:

* About half as thin as most latex condoms

* Non-porous and non-permeable to all viruses, including HIV

* Heat conductive (warms to body temperature)

* Safe to use with oil based lubricants

* Hypoallergenic (great for anyone allergic to latex)

http://www.condomania.com/prodinfo.asp?number=C-AV-SL

any advice is welcome.

but i have tried quite a few types of Condom and i seem to have problems with them.

i grew up in the Days when Condoms were not seemed that important and after getting Married and then having a long term relationship with another Girl after my Divorce again nothing was used.

the Days of the Pill were wonderful in my eyes.

over the Years i have had a hard time when i admitted i went with BG's unprotected but it was because i had problems as well as choice.

i met a few Members of this Board in June and i was keeping a secret.

i had spent time with a Girl before going to Gullivers and i was in agony.

i used a Condom with her and by the time i got to Gullivers my groin was all swollen and no fun for me at the time.

that Night i went to Afterskool and when the Girl took my Dick out she was shocked by the swelling and rash that had appeared.

but thankfully she got a Friend across and between them they gently sorted me out.

and with my longtime GF it is also not a problem.

being a Catholic she does not agree with Condoms and we have never used one.

good but risky sex.....................

Archived