Stickman !..You ask for it...

Goodthaigirl

Can a moderator please reply to advise if English is the "standard" on this board , I have searched & not found any reference . I think other than stupidity & the language topics , we should NOT have large passages of foreign languages here . Obviously the language thread is of great help to some & the odd laugh like in Pop Ya, no problem . However when large passages are posted in response to other posts , it starts to feel like a sub-club for those with the correct software or wanting to show off, maybe even flaming , knowing others will not understand .If you have become a member then you can obviously understand english. If english is the standard then lets get back to it , there is more thai than english in this thread , if it's allowed then no problem .

Please no offers of free thai lessons , I have no interest in learning it , beer seems to be the same in both tongues , & boom boom is english anyway!! smile.gif" border="0

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"why is english the world language? because it takes a lot more effort to achieve communication skills in french / mandarin / portugese / spanish / german."

Fly, are you nuts? Mandarin I can't argue. German/portuguese I don't know. But french/spanish are much more easier to learn than english!!! If only for spelling alone!!!

What also pisses me off is when people start talking simplified to folks who do not speak english well. If you continue to speak sh@t english to people, what do you expect them to speak back?

<<burp>>

quote:

Originally posted by gummigut:

[QB

Fly, are you nuts? Mandarin I can't argue. German/portuguese I don't know. But french/spanish are much more easier to learn than english!!! If only for spelling alone!!!

What also pisses me off is when people start talking simplified to folks who do not speak english well. If you continue to speak sh@t english to people, what do you expect them to speak back?

<<burp>>[/QB]

i learned french and english in school, english was simple, best marks without any effort. french though was a bastard (more than latin), i had to learn it three times just to forget it again three times. the last time i was even able to speak it a bit. gone now...

i speak english rather well, 99% of the books i am reading are in english (tolkien, moorcock, cormack mccarthy no problem, at some of kerouac's stuff my english starts collapsing, shakespear i never tried), but i still meet those guys who waffle on in their tinglish to me (and some of them have problems with comprehending comics).

ARGGHHHHH!

GTG , I feel we are forming a bond Isolated ???? not fucking wrong , I live in Annntarrrctiiica !!! How more isolated can you get !I am a simple man & need to be spoken to in s-l-o-w words , I have no pretence of intelligence . Tyler please keep it s-l-o-w , so I can know , what the hell we are all on about. Hang on , what ARE we all on about???????????? crazy.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

tyler durden,

>Let the schooling begin!

First of all, yes it is NOT considered patronising and NOT rude to talk to a non-english speaker slowly bucko. Do you know why einstein? Because when you're talking at a normal rate(which varies extremely) they don't know what the fuck is coming out of your mouth! Meaning, it sounds like gibberish to them. Also, when talking normally, you tend to add slangs and phrases they have NO CONCEPT of. So yes, it's better to talk slowly to non-english speakers, but I don't mean RETARD s..l..o..w.. like you're inferring.<

if you speak slow to a non-english speaker he will still understand glibberish, you can speak as much retard slow-as you want, but non english speakers simply do not speak english.

it's called: NON-NATIVE-ENGLISH-SPEAKER (let the schooling begin...ROTFLMAO!)

>Are you some kind of stupid? Are you even thinking before typing? I know of people from Korea, China, Japan, and Vietnam who've been living in America 20+ years. They still haven't "mastered" the language and appreciate it when you talk a bit slower to them. Is that patronizing them? Hell no.<

so what, i know people who have lived for ten years in the UK and speak better english than every american. one of them was my mother. hell, i know many people who have never lived in the UK or the states and wrote their doctorates in english.

there is considerate slow, and there is tinglish slow. tinglish slow i consider as patronising.

>Nice choice of fiction and rubbish authors. Rubbish meaning kerouac. Wow, let's see how much rat poison my body can consume and see whether I can write anything intelligible while I have Burrough's dick in my ass! And you're lecturing me about english while you read kerouac? Wake the fuck up.<

i could include melville and dickens too, or poe if you want, and conrad, but then, he was not a native speaker.

and whatever kerouacs and burroughs sexual preferences were, you will find them in the shelves of modern literature, if you like it or not.

>By the way flyz, if you didn't realize, this is a flame!<

bit of a lame flame if you ask me...

i like being humoured and amused, so keep on "flaming" me... smile.gif" border="0

I thought NO flaming of all types was the one BIG rule of nana , it seems to me that the line has been crossed . If KS is still on hol's then I guess it is up to SMan to take action . I have been warned myself , for much lesser offences (IMHO) than the blatant flaming that is going on above . Actions speak louder than words. crazy.gif" border="0crazy.gif" border="0crazy.gif" border="0crazy.gif" border="0

P.S - A bit of sanuk could proabably solve the problem , or maybe a bit of sodomy , or maybe a bit of concensus,or maybe a bit of "simmer down" by Bob Marley , or maybe a bit of "Muhammad Ali" by Faithless , checck Pop Ya 2 , or maybe some fine wine & crackers, I like the soft cheeses , or maybe som...................................................................................................

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: zoot ]

Archived