Stickman !..You ask for it...

Goodthaigirl

Tyler

If you could calm down a bit and actually try to read the posts you will see that what fly was saying is true. If you are talking to a 'non-English-speaking person' it does not matter how slowly you talk to them, they will not understand you, by the very definition of the words. They do not speak English.

Do you think speaking Thai slowly will make it easier to understand for someone who does not speak Thai? No, of course not! Same same!!

Speaking slowly to a 'non-native-English-speaking person' would probably be helpful.

I think that was it.

LG

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long Gun,

Sorry, but no. Reread flyz's posts. Somewhere among his posts towards me, he used "non-english-speakers" in various ways. He was over generalizing. Look at my first quote above. he used "non-english-speaker" and "non-native-english-speaker" same same. Hell, I should just delete my posts...

quote:

Originally posted by db_sed_aloha:

Quite possibly, but I'm going to be a jackass and insist on being asked in the quasi-official language of the board, English...

Ok.......sorry

laugh.gif" border="0 The complaint is that when posting in Thai characters there is some heiroglyphics also being displayed which is replacing some of the Thai text. This appears to only be the case when the length of joined characters (without a space or line-break) goes beyond a certain point. Now as Thai grammar doesn't include spaces between words in sentences - usually a space will determine a new paragraph - it will then be a problem to post without starting a new line every so few words. Actually.. maybe the same thing happens with a long string of English characters???? Don't know? Take a look at the first post on this board. It has numbers and some other shite in there that replaces some of the Thai and makes it hard to read.

Any solution?

Being a non-native English speaker I must say that I find it very patronizing when someone speak slowly to me.

Having said that I do realize that the intent is not to be patronizing, just helpful.

Anyway, I normally start speaking back slowly until the person realize what he is doing, that will usually get him back to normal speed.

Anyone notice that Stickman has been awfully quite on this thread. Maybe someone needs to move it to the Language forum for him.

From the old board it was decided that both the English and Thai language would be permitted on the board, but to refrain from using other languages for discussions. A few words or phrases were okay, but not a complete discussion. Maybe someone can find the old thread that this was decided in.

I don't get annoyed at all when Thai people speak Thai to me very slowly, actually I have to ask them to slow down or I won't understand anything that they say. But it is pretty easy to figure out if the non-native English speaking person understands you or not. I have most of my problems talking to the Irish and Scottish speakers.

I had ignored the thread because of the Thai writing from the start, until I saw the number of replies in two days. How can such a simple topic degrade into this ?

quote:

???????????????????? Woodstock ??????????? ?

Will the Good Thai Girl make it to Woodstock ? wink.gif" border="0

Hi Khun Good Thai girl,

When I First entered here as a newbie some members here was curious that I am a real Thai woman or what LOL. I am enjoyable to get to know what farangs thinking about US Thai people.The subsidize confusing, surprized to know that how those girls distracted loney poor farangs guys.

คุณ หญิงไทยผู้แสนดีคะ

๖อนแรกที่เราเข้ามาอ่าน บอร์ดที่นี่ ก็มีคนสงสัยเหมือนกัน อย่างว่า ภาษาอังกฤษมันคงจะเรื่องไกŪ 1; ตัวเกินไป สำหรับคนที่มักคุ้นกับประโũ 8;คประเภท Hy wey u flom ,no good, I m no good LOL.สนุกอ่านกันต่อดีกว่าค่ะ รู้เขารู้เรา โลกจะได้ง่ายขึ้น

tyler durdenand everybody,

If I would like to "act" like I'm really a stupid-Thai-girl-who-can-not-write-English- properly I can do that fairly easily but chose not to. Ive worked hard to be able to master the lauguage. I was fortunate to be able to go to a very good school. Yes, I had American teachers since I was in kindergarten class.

Please read this post. I couldn't have said better than Flyonzewall did ! Thanks Fly

http://www.nanaplaza.com/~nanaplaza/cgi-b2/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t =000643&p=4#000057

I feel sorry for the Thai teacher that s/he didn't beleive that a Thai person could write good English. I also feel sorry for his/her students that their teacher doesn't believe in their potential and ability.

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: Good Thai Girl ]

Hmmn, you generalize not being able to write proper english to stupid?

quote:

If I would like to "act" like I'm really a stupid-Thai-girl-who-can-not-write-English- properly I can do that fairly easily but chose not to.

Trust me, we(males) know that women are often smarter than us. We're the ones paying aren't we? Ignorance is not having the access to information. Stupidity is having information yet chooses to do the contrary. I'm pretty sure that we don't judge Thai girls to be stupid just because they can't speak/write/read english well. Hell if that were the case, us falangs trying to speak/write/read thai would be morons.

I'm pretty sure that no-one has flamed you, including myself. We're skeptical. And why not? Let's be honest, this board isn't really a "general thailand info" board. It's specialized to errr "male sanuk activities". Ok, perhaps you did work extremely hard to master the english language. But again, is this really the forum to prove that?

Flame me/ban me/whatever(please don't KS tongue.gif" border="0 ), but I feel that skeptism is understandable and I still go with my gut instinct, I'm not convinced.

Occums razor(paraphrased because I've forgotten exactly): When faced with 2 explanations, the simplest explanations is usually correct.

An extremely well educated thai woman who fancies reading and commenting on a male oriented sanuk board vs. a bored guy in the midwest assuming a different identity.

Do you really need to convince us of your authenticity? Hell no! But you are the one who's been trying to prove otherwise. Heck even your name tries to justify who you are, a Good Thai Girl and not a Bad Thai Girl. blush.gif" border="0 Again, this isn't a flame, it's a debate/analysis.

Please don't kick my ass out KS! tongue.gif" border="0

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: tyler durden ]

Archived