Stickman !..You ask for it...

Goodthaigirl

db_sed_aloha,

When typing thai, directly onto the board, using Windows me thai version, the characters mangle as the message is posted. Not all the characters mangle just a few on each line. As I said though with short sentences there doesnt seem to be a problem.

Since most of the other posts in thai characters (by other members) have all mangled some letters as well I assume this problem musn't be related to the browser, OS, posting method etc

Must be in this board's software don't you think ?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also agree with Daeng...

quote:

I believe that posting in thai should be allowed, possibly with the proviso that translations be supplied

I used cut and paste to send a few Thai Girlfriends the New Years greeting from daeng bireley's sawatdii pii mai post in General Topic ...

quote:

สวัสดีปีใหม่

sawatdiipiimai

อยากให้ทุกๆคนมีความสุข

ตลอดปีใหม่

yaak hai took took kon mee khwaam suk

taloot pii mai

(และมีโชคดีมากใน

การเที่ยวผู้หญิ่งด้วย )

But not having a Translation, it wasn't until one of my friends mentioned it that I realized the last line refered to meeting girls... Lucky my REAL G/F couldn't read the Thai in her browser so she didn't see it... I apologized anyway though... just covering my ass. blush.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

So Daeng, please follow your own advice in the future... Post in Thai please... It helps me impress the ladies to send a Thai Email... But keep me out of trouble by posting an ACCURATE translation at the same time.

And if anyone posts in Thai with a totally different translation, so as to mislead what the post is actually saying, this should be grounds for instant and immediate BANISHMENT from this board as well as Tar & Feathers down Sukhumvit before being Run out to the Airport on a Rail.

Khup Khun Krab

CS

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: CosmicSurfer ]

Cosmic Surfer,

My genuine apologies I didnt think at the time someone might send it to their girlfriend !!

และมีโชคดีมากใน

การเที่ยวผู้หญิ่งด้วย

lae mee choke dee nai

garn theow puuying duay

translates to: " and good luck whoring

around/chasing girls as well"

"teow puuying" sounds seems to sound harsher when translated into english than it does in thai. One of those phrases, I suppose, thats hard to accurately translate.I cant think of a better way to say it in English. Thats the reason I didnt originally translate it.

[ January 05, 2002: Message edited by: daeng bireley ]

quote:

Originally posted by daeng bireley:

และมีโชคดีมากใน

การเที่ยวผู้หญิ่ง

lae mee choke dee nai

garn theow puuying duay

translates to: " and good luck whoring

around/chasing girls as well"

I think I will enjoy doing some posts in Thai now that we have a resident Thai as an adjudicator who can set us right (are you hearing me Good Thai Girl?).. So, not to say you are wrong, and I'm sure we can learn a lot from each other, but I would have said it more like this:

ขอให้โชคดี

กับการเที่ยวผู้หญิง

kor-hai-chok-dee-gup-garn-teeow-pooying.

Do you agree that 'to give' (kor-hai) would be more correct than using 'to have' (mee) which in Thai is more akin to being a 'characteristic of' or 'belonging to' something - rather than giving or wishing someone something??

Also, 'in' ใน (nai) is usually used as a preposition when the sentence is passive

eg. nai garn-teow-pooying kor-hai (khun) chok-dee.

But being an active sentence with the 'garn-teeow-pooying' as the object, as it is in your example, I think กับ 'gup' (with) would be a more appropriate choice.

Cheers

Dan-

ขอให้โชคดี

กับการเที่ยวผู้หญิง

kor-hai-chok-dee-gup-garn-teeow-pooying

I agree this is more correct grammatically, but I would have written it in a way that sounds more like colloquial Thai:

KHAW HAI CHOK DEE GAP THEEO SAO DUAI

How and where did you learn to speak/write Thai so well?

Dan and Lucky thank you for your comments, but, I still think my sentence is still grammatically correct ( though not perfect )Both your sentences are also grammatically correct. Really it just depends on how you say it, and after all this is a real slangy sort of throw away line, that wouldnt normally be written, I was writing it in a jokey formal way to match the previous sentence.

Re: "kor hai" notice I had already said "yaak hai" in the previous sentence thats why I started this one with "lae" (and),

"mee" probably not the best choice of words but still works ok, (lae mee choke dee .../and have good luck...)

again "nai" works ok, (nai garn../in the activity of...)

If it was passive voice I would need to start the phrase with "ถูก" "took" or "โดน" "done" the passive voice indicators in thai (similar use to the word "was"in english, in thai passive voice can be only used for negative action)

"teeow sao" has more the connotation of going to flirt with a "good girl" whereas if you were going out whoring, you'd say "teeow pooying"

As spoken thai you'd probably just say "chok dee teow pooying".

rgds, Daeng.

quote:

Originally posted by luckyfarang:

How and where did you learn to speak/write Thai so well?

Hi.sorry about the slow reply, haven't looked in here for a while.

Ok, I studied Thai for a year at a place called TLCC (for anyone who's interested - that's the Thai Language and Cultural Centre in Box Hill, Melbourne, Aust.) This concentrated on reading and writing and has been invaluable to my learning. So, when I arrived on Thai shores 3 and a half years ago I could read and write Thai and had all the basic conversation skills to get me going. From there on it's been self-study, practice, listening to Thai tv and radio etc.. also have had the help of various Thai friends. UBC helps a lot too - watching movies in English and reading the Thai subtitled translations.

I'd tell anyone that the key to it is practice, practice, and practice. Same as with anything. It's not gonna fall on your lap just because you've spent some time here. If you're serious about learning Thai, you should do it properly; start with reading/writing/grammar/tones and pronunciation etc.. It's the only way to learn the language properly. Get this down as a base and you'll be doing allright.

Cheers..

Archived