Jobs, the work kind

I've heard that farangs can get a work permit to teach SCUBA in LOS. Is that true? And if not, do many teach without it?

I'll be arriving in Bangkok in November and after enjoying some sanuk will head to Phuket to take dive classes. Does anyone have any recommendations on a school, a cheap place to stay, etc. I plan on staying for a year and my budget won't allow for a room over $10 US a night.

Sorry,

I've been bouncing arround a little.

I think the private message thing is the best way to get someones attention.

Anyway,

Teaching diving in Thailand. How much info do you want?

To start, yes it IS one of the few jobs available to farang that allow you to get a work permit. HOWEVER, getting a dive shop to request one for you is a major struggle.

I worked for two years, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Tao, and Phuket, without a work permit. I managed two of the shops, Koh Phi Phi and Phuket, and I still couldn't get one.

The reason for this is that in order for the dive shop to apply for one on your behalf they have to be willing to open their books to the labor board. Hmmm.

You can not apply yourself.

Also the labor board intends for the shop to apply before you arrive in Thailand. Now I do know of situations were a great effort was made to get around this and it succeeded.

Most of the instructors are working illegally and due to the tourist dollars involved and the lack of qualified Thai instructors, this is ignored by the immigration police. Well most of the time.

As for the work situation, its far worse then when I was there. I still keep tabs and have a ton of contacts if you need them.

I would be happy to give you further info but would need to have you give me specific questions as I've got 7 years of facts crammed into my little cranium. (2 years working there + 5 years keeping track)

Feel free to post any questions. I'll check back from time to time.

By the way what is your certification level and which agency (/cies) are you certified with?

Oops,

Sorry, again.

I re-read your post.

Greeds post caught my eye initially as it was directed at me.

If I understand correctly you're not yet certified? The process to become an instructor is:

1)Open water diver (learn to dive)

2)Advanced open water diver

3)Medic first Aid (or CPR / 1st aid equivalent)

4)Rescue Diver

5)Divemaster (AKA dive slave -the first professional level - you can make some money but not enough to live on)

6)Instructor (you can make a little more money but again not really enough to live on - at least not if you want to enjoy Thailand and have free time)

This is the PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) track. I'm also an SSI (Scuba Schools International) instructor as well as IANTD (International Association of Nitrox and Technical Divers). PADI is the way to go as the biggest, most active shops are all PADI.

Figure your cost to do all of this at about $3,000 US - thats classes and equipment - and thats very low -more likely you're looking at about $4,000 - $5,000.

You will need one year start to finish and you will be required to buy your own equipment, about $1,000 - $2,000. If you live in the US, Canada, or Australia, buy your equipment at home you'll save a ton of money over Thai prices. If you live in Europe, don't bother the prices are about the same.

Before I start recommending dive shops and instructors as well as best places to dive, work etc., I need to know if this is just an idea or if you're serious.

If you're serious, I can put you in touch with people who can take you from open water to instructor and possibly offer employment. But don't get too excited. The reality ain't that great.

Did I have fun? Oh, yeah. Probably the best time of my life.

But I was broke constantly, and things were BETTER then. That was before the economic crisis and the opening of another couple of dozen shops to add to the competition. The hours are incredibly long, 6 days a week, 10 - 16 hours a day. It can be very physical work. Try lugging 60/ 44 lb tanks, three times a days, both to and from the boat, + dive, + teach, ++++.

As I said in my previous post, if you want to ask specific questions or let me know where you are at in you plans, I'd be happy to give you more info.

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but I want you to know the realities. If I miss read your post and you are already a divemaster and have a good idea about the industry. I appologize. I think Phuket is one of the best places in the world to do your instructor course. If you have enough money in the bank to supplement your income in Thailand it can be quite OK. Just go into it with both eyes wide open.

HI , Im an Aussie looking at work in LOS as my gf ( Aust ) has just landed a legal job in BKK, and I have to find work etc.

I have Level 1 Instructor status within OZ tickets available etc,

I was inquiring about the wages , yes the hours are always long and hard, but i will have an income to support me.

Regards

WAZZA smile.gif" border="0

Wazza,

When you say you have a level 1 instructors ticket which agency is that with?

Do you mean PADI OWSI or another agency?

As far as wages, it varies depending on where you are teaching. And you also need to factor in cost of living (COL)as that varies as well.

The major areas are:

Phuket: Kata, Karon, Patong - tons of shops (too many) - fairly expensive COL - best pay

Koh Phi Phi - small island with about two dozen shops - decent pay - very expensive COL - best diving for day trips and classes

Koh Tao - very small island - around two dozen shops - low pay for a diving specific area - low COL - diving varies from good to poor - fairly boring nightlife

Koh Samui - large island - dozens of shops - fairly low pay - medium COL - diving usually poor unless you head to the sites off Koh Tao (which is a haul) - poor viz - lots of nightlife

Pattaya - seaside resort - dozens of shops - medium pay - medium COL - worst diving - bad viz - poluted water - best nightlife

With smaller dive areas in Krabi, Koh Lanta, etc. - these areas will have the least pay - lowest COL (usually) - most fluctuation in your ability to make money.

Figures:

Pay range:

High season: 10,000 - 40,000 Baht/month

Low season: 0 - 20,000 Baht/month

Pay at some shops is based on a percentile of the course cost. In other words if the class is 4,000 Baht, you make 30% or 1,200 Baht per student. The problem lies in whether there are enough students for all the instructors at all the shops. This is not always the case, particularly during the low season when you can go weeks without a class. Students are asigned on a rotation basis, which makes it somewhat hit or miss. You also have the ability to find your own students during your free time. This gives you the ability to fill classes when you are out of rotation.

COL: 100 - 450 Baht/day or 2,000 - 8,000 Baht/month

I've quoted this based on the requirements of most folks working in the industry. You certainly can spend more, but it would be a bad idea.

Koh Phi Phi during the high season (October - April) is by far the most expensive - many bungalo operators could care less that you are working on the island and that you will guarantee them a filled room. They will fill the room anyway. The cheapest monthly rates (for new people - its diferent if they know you from last year) is about 5,000 - 6,000 Baht. To contrast you can find, with a little investigation, rooms for about 2,500 - 3,000 baht/month in Phuket.

I've got to get somethings done so thats all for now.

Let me know about the agency you're an instructor for, its pretty important in terms of getting hired.

Hey,

Speaking of scuba, the sport I mean.

Would anyone here be interested in a scuba section on the board?

Dive sites, shop suggestions, classes, work possibilities, etc.

Wouldn't have to be just about LOS, could be regional as well.

I'll start a new thread.

Archived