Chinese contemporary art.

chuckwoww

Chinese Contemporary gallery opened in 1996 and is dedicated to showing the work of the Chinese avant garde from 1989. It shows a comprehensive range of artists and represents some of the best up and coming young talents as well as the most famous. It has an exhibition programme which shows a complete spectrum of media from paintings to photos, performances, ink on paper and videos.

http://www.chinesecontemporary.com/art.php?image_id=391&gal=&gallery_id=1

Hi chuck,

do you have a special interest in current Chinese arts?

I don't know much about it since I have only seen a few exhibitions in Asia and Germany yet. I find it quite interesting, but don't have a real opinion about it. Hopefully the Chinese artists are strong enough not to be eaten up by the Western market like it happened to the Russian artists in the 80s/90s when many of them produced artworks especially for Western galleries/ collectors.

If you look at Chinese contemporary photography you see that it is taking a complete different way compared to the US, Europe and even Japan. One reason is that they miss 50 years of photo history and just don't have the time (and knowledge) to catch up with all the developments. Therefore they seem to have their own way using the camera merely as tool to produce art rather than photography, if you know what I mean - or it's traditional, old fashioned documentary photography.

There are two galleries in Bangkok showing contempory Chinese work regularly.

Was at one of them last weekend, and it is one of the few still used purpose built galleries as well.

In the Basement of Silom Galeriea. Worth a visit.

The other purpose built gallery comes and goes, it is in a soi of plonchit parrel to Wireless, very nice but small

The by far best gallery and sadly empty, is one built 15 years ago near the Gotha Institute of Sathorn, sadly rotting as the man who built it died and greedy kids think fuck all of art.

It is a seriously great building, sad to see it go.

DPOG

• 2 weeks later...

The Chinese art market is currently running amuck. It is extremely trendy and the prices are astronomical given the relative qaulity of the work. There is some excellent work but most of it is is rather weak. The Chinese are in the midst of opening their creative floodgates to the west and the west is using it to make the big $$. I saw this show at Galleria and liked the black and white drawings very much. -I am biased as I am a career jitagawn. I often wonder does anyone on this board know what that means ??FM does for sure :)

Archived