Thai word for "bullshit?"

Samak,

I did not mean to forget about you. The problem with transiliteration from the

Thai language leads to disagreements, not

only with pronunciation, but also with

respect to the meaning(s) of certain words.

Please trust me with repect to my prior post

concering the word "kwai."

K-why does mean buffalo. And, k-way does

mean dick or penis. Believe me when I say

it is in your best interest to correctly

pronounce these words. If you're in BKK,

why don't you go to The Golden Beer Bar and

ask the ladies themselves (most are from Isaan); and, they will set you straight. You

may even like one of the babes and want to

"go with her!" The working gals tend to favor

the farang and ex-pats who make attempts to

resolve such issues, or are in the process

of learning Thai! O.K. I am out of this thread! I have contradicted my own advice.

wink.gif" border="0crazy.gif" border="0

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

another problem is the fact that some people in here use different standards from different regions. I am using the standards that people in bangkok use... like torlaa, that's how they say bs. I don't know about issaan area, since their accent is very different so they probably say it tor-lee or something.

and as for penis- it's koy/koi (rhymes with toy), it's not kway- (rhymes with sway?)

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: GoldenChild ]

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenChild:

and as for penis- it's koy/koi (rhymes with toy), it's not kway- (rhymes with sway?)

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: GoldenChild ]

ควย doesn't rhyme with toy! (at least not the way I say it!) Its vowel is commonly transliterated as "ua". It rhymes with "suay", the Thai word for beautiful. If it rhymed with toy, it'd be written something like this: คอย

quote:

Originally posted by New Petchburi Pete:

World Walker,
you are probably wrong

about "daw (falling tone)lah (rising tone).

Ah! I can help here. My girlfriend's just written this (in a customary angry note) as ตอแหล, which would indicate a middle then a rising tone. This is the usual word for bullshit as far as I understand it.

bibblies... that's the word for bs that I was talking about.

As for the koi that rhymes with sway(beautiful in thai) it's close but sway has a slightly higher tone to it. And I say it rhymes with toy because the tone is closer to the real way they say it, except it's more low pitched.

'kee mook' is 'nose shit', or 'snot' as they say.

and 'petit na sa aye sa' means 'i'm going smash your flipping face in in a minute', so to speak. ching ching.

'roy kooway' . . . any takers?

quote:

Originally posted by bibblies:

Ah! I can help here. My girlfriend's just written this (in a customary angry note) as ตอแหล, which would indicate a middle then a rising tone. This is the usual word for bullshit as far as I understand it.

Yeeah - first syllable is mid tone. I've never seen the word written. I hear this word often among bar girls, (and use it fairly often myself - bad me), and I'm pretty sure it's the closest to the english phrase 'bullshit' in both meaning and level of politeness. But I've only known the word about 6 months, and have only been in Thailand a little over a year (though already spoke some thai), so more experienced folk may correct me on this.

• 1 year later...

Originally posted by BadBlintz:Is there one? What's the closest Thai expression to "bullshit?" There's got to be better than "gohok"

daw laae - daw - rhymes with saw. laae - like the first sylable of ladder, but prononunced with a rising tone. - Just like Bullshit, not a polite term. [color:"blue"]

DAW-LEH® is a very commonly heard term which I would translate as "fibber".

It is not as harsh as GO-HOK(l), meaning "liar" and not nearly as impolite as "Bullshit". In fact, it's not impolite at all and usually said in jest. [/color]

Archived