"Bars" and "Prostitution" don't mix....

NokTang

Took me some twenty plus years to figure it out, but I think I finally did...

Any INTELLIGENT replies welcomed but kindly keep the personal attacks to yourself. Thank you.

I honestly don't think this concept of girls "working" for "salary" in a "bar" works when prostitution is the real goal or reason for her, and the customers; is doing anyone any favors or has a positive net result.

It has taken a long time to come to this conclusion, however, rest assured it is not financially motivated.

Having girls dance, bikini/topless etc. is great, but do you realy need it? And if you do need it or like it, who needs a "bar" involved in the transaction? Sure, we all know the "barfine" is for the bar(less a commission I know) but in reality, I think the girls would come without the salary especially if they were looking for a guy. Bottom line however, don't ever forget, YOU the customer don't "owe" barfines. It is the girls deal with same.

Maybe I'm just old and grumpy, but I now prefer a brothel or freelancer setting such as the BeerGarden or Thermae to find a lady, and a bar to get drunk. They simply are not a good mix IMHO.

thank you and gidday.

Nok the Kook

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always thought the whole bar scene is something devised to make "westerners" feel more comfortable with engaging in prostitution, akin to "pulling" a bird in their own country, not at all like kerb-crawling in the local red light area with all the social stigma that goes with that.

I remember my first night in Patters back in '93. I had a good view of a beer bar complex from my hotel room. I watched for a couple of hours, the brushing against, hand holding, game playing, buying of drinks etc, (I was very young, and the blokes all looked old and pathetic, being so obviously manipulated). I made my mind up then that it was all bullshit. My opinion hasn't changed at all over the years, and I live here now. I too much prefer a freelancer, and hate the "bar" environment. With freelancers it seems like a much more open and honest transaction.

The only uncharted territory for me as yet is the MP's, this is the way the Thais do it, after all. When I talk to Thai friends, they think it is crazy to pay 1000 baht for a ST with an average bird (excluding bar fines, drinks and a ST room), when for 1500 you can have 2 hours pampering in "Ap Ob Nuat".

Interesting, I thought it was only me that thought like this !

INTJ.

Any INTELLIGENT replies welcomed

Not sure if I can do this :o :o :o, but it's never stopped me yet ::

I don't NEED the gals dancing............but I like it. Simple as that.

Why do I like it? It gives me something to watch whilst I am getting drunk and I get to play silly beggars with the gals - where the possibility is "always in the air" - even if in parctice we both knew I would not be taking them back to the hotel. I would be in the gogo bar anyway at night time getting drunk(it's got aircon!).

BTW done the Freelancer stuff, not purely for financial reasons, but mainly because I like to seperate my drinking from shagging (IME lot easier to find a good shag than a good bar)........and Sukhumvit was always on my route home to my hotel, so it was a no brainer.

The other major freelancer attraction was if Miss XXX was with a customer I knew it was "safe" (ie peaceful!) to pick up someone else on Sukhumvit, and if not it saved a lot of aggro (I know, I was too soft).

I watched for a couple of hours, the brushing against, hand holding, game playing, buying of drinks etc, (I was very young, and the blokes all looked old and pathetic, being so obviously manipulated). I made my mind up then that it was all bullshit

No shit sherlock :D

Has it occurred to you that many (ok, not all!) of the guys KNOW it is bullshit?

It's a game with no set rules, which requires each side to play their role for the game to "work". She pretends she is not a 3 hole whore, and the guy pretends he doesn't know she is a 3 hole whore = GFE.

I guess nothing wrong with the "curb crawling experiance" (although I wouldn't know), it's each to their own - but for me (and maybe a few others?) the bullshit ritual of the "GFE experiance" is what makes the Thai whores different.

Besides I like a lot of the BG's (good people do shitty jobs, and vice verce) and have spent a lottttttttttt of the time in the Beer Bars drinking away the afternoons (and my life :(). It's a pleasant eneough way to get drunk.

IMHO it's each to their own :D :D :D

BTW me being 39 is NOT old, pathetic maybe - but handsome for sure (1 million BG's cannot be wrong, surely??!! :D :D :D)

They obviously do mix. How do I know? Nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy, Patpong, Pattaya, Soi Bangla on Patong beach in Phuket and scores of other places where bars and prostitution do mix.

These places would not exist if they didn't mix. It is not about "positive net results" (no offense, but when terms like that are used undefined, I cringe) or whether you "need it":

Having girls dance, bikini/topless etc. is great, but do you realy need it?
It is not a question of what we "need" - it's what I, and apparantly others, want. If we didn't want it, the bars would quickly go out of business; actually, they wouldn't be there in the first place. That is how markets work.

Besides I like a lot of the BG's (good people do shitty jobs, and vice verce) and have spent a lottttttttttt of the time in the Beer Bars drinking away the afternoons (and my life ). It's a pleasant eneough way to get drunk.
Agreed. I am about two-thirds of the way through a book called The Modern Drunkard (and using WiFi in a Patong beach hotel, I might add, before I go out and start drinking in about an hour), and I highly recommend it to anyone who spends any amount of time in any of the venues that we spend 80% of our time discussing on this forum. A real hoot, but also refreshingly honest in these politically correct times.

"Has it occurred to you that many (ok, not all!) of the guys KNOW it is bullshit?"

I would say the overwhelming majority (certainly of tourists) have absolutely no idea of this elaborate scam.

Have a seat in any of the English pubs in a morning and listen to the deluded pricks bragging about the previous nights escapades (she was gorgeous, she loved it, she loved me etc). The tourotrash buy into this shit hook line and sinker. Walking around holding hands with last nights "conquest", WTF ???

The tourists can be excused, I suppose, as it really is stepping into another world for them, and they cannot be expected to understand the complexeties of the "scene". As for residents and the bars, well, I would say the majority of farangs living here are alchoholics. Probably the lure of the alchohol is as strong if not stronger for most than the lure of the women.

Each to his own, its a well established part of life here for many, but thankfully not for me.

INTJ.

INTJ said:

Have a seat in any of the English pubs in a morning and listen to the deluded pricks bragging about the previous nights escapades

As for residents and the bars, well, I would say the majority of farangs living here are alchoholics. Probably the lure of the alchohol is as strong if not stronger for most than the lure of the women.

Each to his own, its a well established part of life here for many, but thankfully not for me.

INTJ.

Rather contradictorary posting, you accuse the majority expats in Thailand of being alcoholics, yet every working morning I am up at 6:30 AM out of the apartment by 7:15 and on my way to work. All the other expats I know do the similar thing.

Yet you on the other hand can afford the time to sit in English pubs in a Morning whilst the rest of us are at work.

Another Kettle Pot Black Moment

My views are mostly in line with INTJ's. It's fine if other expats still enjoy the bar scene, but it got real old, real fast for me. Sitting in a beer bar chatting up the girls is mindnumbingly dull to me, and it's not a cost- or time-effective way to snag a girl.

As for tourists, their infrequent trips to Thailand may be the only sex many of them ever get, so they like to be surrounded by girls doting on them, whether or not they know it's all bullshit (and at this point in history, especially with websites like this, they'd better know). That's cool, I can understand that. But for me, it quickly became an annoyance more than anything else.

Archived