Spirit House theme

New Petchburi Pete

I sent in my first entry under the spirit house theme; and KS replied that there were not that many entries. One reason for this might be that many who come to LOS don't know what a spirit house is. I used to think they were shrines to Buddha until someone enlightened me.

I have about a dozen decent photos of spirit houses, but I simply can't decide which one to submit for my second entry.

There are different aspects about each one which are interesting, at least to me ... but, I find myself asking what will those who vote be looking for? I may not send the second entry until near the end of the month.

Just a word of caution. Pay hommage to the spirits before you photograph their dwellings. Show some respect. The last thing you want is some enraged ghost who has a gripe against you!

:eek:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pete,

Yep, highly recommended to say a prayer of forgiveness asking permission to photograph to the pii before taking the shot, even if just to appease any family Buddhists nearby. They do take these spirit houses seriously I have seen!

There are many different style as well. Most houses and buildings have one, the common fancy painted kind. I also see many homemade ones on the roadsides. Was told these are for the spirit of a person killed in a motocyke or auto accident on that spot. I see them everywhere in Isaan, even in the jungle and the rice field shacks a few times.

Cent

Cent said:

There are many different style as well. Most houses and buildings have one, the common fancy painted kind. I also see many homemade ones on the roadsides. Was told these are for the spirit of a person killed in a motocyke or auto accident on that spot. I see them everywhere in Isaan, even in the jungle and the rice field shacks a few times.

Cent

Shit...I always thought those were mailboxes ! ::

HH

Well, y'all may as well just give it up now. My lovely maid saw me editing my photo contest entries Monday and she proclaimed them "very beautiful...better than in a magazine" without prompting. If you can't believe your maid, you can you believe? :D

Cheers,

SD

Hi Cent,

Spirit Houses ... I see a few very interesting ones at the bases of trees, usually large, older trees. What's with all the figures of people inside the pii houses? Do they represent ghosts??

My neck is doing very well so far. Perhaps 90-95% of lost neurological function has been restored; and, I'm practically pain free. Also, since fusion wasn't done, I still maintain the same mobility as before the surgery, although quite limited in head to shoulder (attempted) movement, but, no big deal. I've been doing my P.T. in the Gulf at Jomtien.

? Surin. Yes, we would definitely like to come up and visit and do some touring around. My best guesstimate would be shortly after New Year's, your schedule permitting. Are you still enetertaining the thought of coming to Pattaya around New Year's? Do let us know. BTW, it's been quite chilly for this latitude (16 degrees N). My prized guppies have been dying off ... down to one adult a few frey.

The Gulf waters have cooled; and, it's actually refreshing to go for a dip. In fact, today sure looks like a fine beach day to me! :)

Archived