Browsing Thai Websites On Pocket Pcs/smartphones

FIGJAM

[Note to the mods: I've already tried to post this in "Internet, computers, communication, technology in Thailand" with no success so I'm trying to post in "Thai language" since I may have better luck here and I feel it's related also to this forum anyway]

Hi all, do someone know what's needed to be able to browse Thai websites on Windows-based Pocket PCs and/or Symbian-based smartphones?

I currently have a Sony Ericsson P800 with Opera 6.31 and Thai websites aren't rendered correctly because (I think) I don't have Thai fonts installed on my smartphone (nor I know if and where they may be available for the P800 and/or other Symbian smartphones).

Also, AFAIK, any Pocket PC I may buy here in Italy/Europe isn't able (as it is, just out of the box) to correctly visualize the Thai script in the Thai websites although I think it should be much more easy to find the appropriate software for them than it is for Symbian mobiles.

From a not-so-quick search on the 'net I haven't found any realiable and definitive answer to my questions, so: do any of you browse Thai websites on your Pocket PCs and/or Symbian-based smartphones? What software have you had to get in order to be able to correctly visualize the Thai script in the Thai websites?

TIA

I use nokia 9300 (and I will never again buy anything from nokia :cussing:) and DTAC GPRS. Easy Thai is installed.

When i open www.sanook.com, about 60% of the Thai fonts are correcly displayed.

BTW with nokia 9300 and DTAC GPRS i need 10-20 minutes to read one email in my yahoo-mailbox. Is this normal?

Or can I expect something faster? How?

Don't tell me to ask DTAC or nokia, there is absolutely no help from both of them.

First of all, thanks for your reply.

iuytrede said:

I use nokia 9300 (and I will never again buy anything from nokia :cussing:)

Never liked Nokia myself, always basically targeted at a young audience and "fashion" markets...

I have always had Ericsson mobiles (and later Sony Ericsson) and always been happy with this choice.

and DTAC GPRS. Easy Thai is installed.

From my understanding, after a quick search, Easy Thai is essentially a sw that instals Thai fonts on some Nokia mobiles. That's exactly what I am looking for for my P800!

When i open www.sanook.com, about 60% of the Thai fonts are correcly displayed.

60%? Not very useful then, I would say :(

BTW with nokia 9300 and DTAC GPRS i need 10-20 minutes to read one email in my yahoo-mailbox. Is this normal?

Or can I expect something faster? How?

It's of course not "normal" based on what the GPRS tecnology theoretically allows but it's probably "normal" by Thai standards...

In my corner of faranglad (Italy) I have the choice between cheap, fast and reliable WAP, GPRS, iMODE, EDGE and UMTS mobile connections. And at home, ? 19,90 (less than 1000 baht) per month get me illimited always-on 4MB ADSL...

The quality (and even the price) of telecommunications (landlines, mobile phones, data) in Thailand has always been POOR. Like ther rest of their infrastructures.

Have you tried DTAC's competitors' GPRS services yet (AIS has one, Orange I dunno)?

If your problem is not location related (and excluding wrong settings) it may simply be that their service sucks.

Don't tell me to ask DTAC or nokia, there is absolutely no help from both of them.

Don't worry, it would never cross my mind to try to suggest you to ask Thai based companies' (even originally "farang" ones) customer care offices after having dealt with them myself a few times when I was living in LOS... :)

Archived