bangkok Phil's Thai course

quote:

Originally posted by Flashermac:

So why not teach the punters Isaan-Lao? That's what the bar girls speak, and they're the ones they wish to talk to.

... Or why not teach the Issan girls better English. That'll save the punters time and money from learning a language which they won't need when the relationship ends. Whereas the girls can put their English skills to further use with the next farang boyfriend.

quote:

Originally posted by Flashermac:

So why not teach the punters Isaan-Lao? That's what the bar girls speak, and they're the ones they wish to talk to.

I recall an incident where my TW (thai wife) told me that she had communicated in Thai with someone who was very obviously Isaan/Lao and didn't speak Thai so well, because it could cause a loss of face if you presume that the other person is Lao.

A bit odd, but I wonder... It's almost cute when we go into bars with a few halting words of bar-girl drivel, but how would they react (or perhaps more importantly: how would they feel *inside*) if a farang just plops down and starts yammering away in Lao?

Fortunately, though, Thai people are not like Japanese. I spent 3 and a half years working partly in Tokyo, and speak pretty good Japanese. Japanese people love to be able to shower white people with little compliments when they squeak out a few halting words of Japanese. But penetrate a little further and many of them actually get quite uncomfortable that an outsider has gained that sort of entree into their culture. In Thailand we only have face issues to contend with smile.gif" border="0.

10 money cards - 3x *1000*, 2x *500*, 5x *100*

Wheres the 10B 5B 1B and 25 satang

You know I barter the price like a screaming dervish

Fortunately, though, Thai people are not like Japanese. I spent 3 and a half years working partly in Tokyo, and speak pretty good Japanese. Japanese people love to be able to shower white people with little compliments when they squeak out a few halting words of Japanese. But penetrate a little further and many of them actually get quite uncomfortable that an outsider has gained that sort of entree into their culture. In Thailand we only have face issues to contend with .

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've had comments off some girls to the effect that they don't like you knowing too much either.

To Andrew from the Sacred Heart School, who contacted me regarding a teaching position for his girlfriend.

Your E-mail doesn't seem to work. Can you contact me again with a telephone number or perhaps your girlfriend's e-mail.

jaylorn@hotmail.com

Archived