Ideal place to live in the West, when not in BKK?

mattwasp

Hi all...

Where would you live in farangland if you were planning to live a roughly 50/50 split between thailand and the west?

My ideal lifestyle (if funded by a lottery win for example, just to negate money in the equation) would be a split between Thailand and somewhere else, but where?

I've had enough of the UK - too expensive to do anything (buy a house; smoke; drive a car) and people's attitude stinks more every day.

The US appeals to me. When I was sent to D.C. in February it seemed like a careful version of Bangkok, with rubbish taxis and without the P4P scene. Though an english accent in America really is like a 'First taaam in thailand hab money a lot' T-Shirt in Bangkok so that isn't relevant.

Any recommendations? City life a must..

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New York City or Paris. Cities of my dreams, spent some of the best years of my life there.

Tokyo!!! Superb place and not as expensive as they say. Maybe Kyoto or Nagasaki.

Baden-Baden or Munich in Germany. Stockholm for its sheer beauty and cleanliness (the best CONTRAST to Bangkok in this regard) maybe.

Tromso in northernmost Norway for the same reason - but not in the darkest winter months. Great springs and summers there.

Hadn't even thought of Tokyo. Surely its a bit too full on (i.e. similar to bangers)?

Paris sounds sensible enough - I speak fluent French so that would work. :)

Actually I met a French guy in Angels disco who spends 6 months in bkk and 6 months in Paris and he seemed to be enjoying himself. :)

Paris is a safe bet, but so is Tokyo. So many people are unaware of its unique qualities. Perfectly safe, clean, orderly and at the same time amazing and utterly exciting! Japanese girls are the most elegant and among the nicest in Asia. Cannot be recommended strongly enough.

I've always thought that North San Diego County (although it's been heavily developed in recent years) or Santa Barbara, CA, would be ideal places to live. If I had the money, I'd maintain a residence in one of those places, as well as Thailand.

But I am becoming increasingly unhappy about living here. As one chick from Hillary Bar so eloquently put it, in response to the 'Where you from?' question: "I don't like your government." :o

a 50/50 split would be a hard one ,

a few months in Europe for the summer would be nice , but not 6 months ,

Santa Barbara would be nice for 6 months , mostly around 70F

Australia would be nice , but have only been there a few weeks at a time,

I guess a question is do you want to have the 6 months contrast each other or both to be in the tropics ?

OC

Tokyo is fantastic in spring and autumn, but the summer is terrible. I wouldn't advice anyone to go to Tokyo in July/August like I did this summer.

:banghead:

I would love to spend 3 month in Tokyo every year, but if you really want to immerse yourself in the Japanese way of living you'll need to learn the language, which will take all your time when you are staying there...

I live in Sydney (but then again so does half of London) and I love it. But if you asked me to recomend I would say Perth in Western Australia maybe a little coastal town called Cottesloe. Perth is a big country town with a CBD. The other place is a town called Nelson. It's on the northern tip of the south island of new Zealand. They have a great PM. Only woman to ever lead a country with a couple of bollocks swinging between her legs. The good thing about Perth is I think it's only about a 5 hour flight to LOS. If you do win your shout.

:yay::beer: :beer: :yay:

Archived