Ideal place to live in the West, when not in BKK?

mattwasp

Never been to Oz, but maybe there, seems like a cool place from what I've heard, and I never met an Ozzie I didn't like...My home area here, SFO is great, though not the same place I grew up in...but none the less, a good place, lots of different cultures/foods etc, and geographically a nice place as well...Ocean, good weather (except for the past 2+ weeks) and a lot of Asian chicks running around...not that I ever get with any....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Sydney (but then again so does half of London) surely this is the wrong way around?? I think the UK and Aus have done a swap you get all the UK FILTS and we get all your backpackers

Back to the thread, six months in Manchester (Summer) and then six months Bangers ideal.

a few months in Europe for the summer would be nice , but not 6 months

Geographically / politically I already do live in Europe, but the cultural variation within European countries while retaining that 'western' feel is vast - as is the weather and taxes! :)

I'm just trying to figure out how to create the ideal compromise for me. Looking through the holiday-maker's Rose Tinted Glasses at Thailand it looks like the ideal place to set up home, but realistically I know that I'd miss the east/west differences of home that are equally appealling during those 3 week stays in Bangkok.

As you suggest, the two places would ideally contrast one another. Weather isn't a big concern (I'm English remember - I carry an umbrella even in the Summer! :: ) but the 'feel' of a place is.

I think I'm just annoyed with England in general. I caught a repeat of Michael Palin's excellent 'Around the world in 80 days' documentary series last week on TV (he followed Phileas Fogg's route round the globe, filmed in the 80's I think) The best bit for me was when he returned to the UK and encountered the unhelpful attitude of people - not seen anywhere else on his travels. There's a definite feeling of purpose and hurry about everything here, and it translates into stress and a bad attitude whereever you go. London moreso than elsewhere, but its there. Don't start a conversation with anyone on the train or they'll think you're insane, and possibly headbutt you. Not that we're an angry bunch, we're quite pleasant really, but we're all late for something and are somewhat consumed by feelings of worry over vast mortgage payments and the state of our pensions. :)

Seeing the slower pace of life in Bangkok, and the faboulous hospitality extended to us silly farangs with a smile and a free sample of fried bug does put things in perspective. Moreover, it reminded me of the summers I spent on Student Exchange programmes in France when I was younger. :)

The good thing about Perth is I think it's only about a 5 hour flight to LOS.

Ah yes Perth, I have family out there.. could work, that.. :) (and the five hour thing.. :) )

If you do win your shout.

Deal!

In fact I know, I'll open a Stella Artois brewery in Thailand, with substantial 'gifts' to the thai govt and no import tax hit it will be easy street! :beer:

Put it this way you could go to some far worse placees like, aaaaah better not otherwise the thread will get hijacked by those who disagree.

Perth is a great city offering a good lifestyle business opportunity and without the inflated housing costs of most other cities of the world.

Old Hippie said:

Never been to Oz, but maybe there, seems like a cool place from what I've heard, and I never met an Ozzie I didn't like

If you like I'll send you a photo or two. Yes we are a likeable lot. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Two years ago I got the same feelings about England and moved to The Gambia. I now spend 6 months there and 6 months in Thailand. November through to June in Gambia is hot and dry with usually a nice sea breeze, but the rainy season from August through October is just like Thailand (exactly the same latitude) although I prefer Thailand at that time of year as the evenings are cooler. There's an abundance of stunningly beautiful available black girls with the most amazing figures and the prices for P4P are on a par with LOS. Cost of living is also the same. Big plus here in Gambia: you can get currently 16% interest on your money. (Last year it was as high as 32%). The currency is also very stable now and the economy is strong. Also there's no jet lag from the UK as time is GMT. Worth a thought. I certainly am enjoying my new life and there is a good British expat community.

Perth is a great city offering a good lifestyle business opportunity and without the inflated housing costs of most other cities of the world.

Its also extremely isolated (some may see that as a blessing) and a dry town in an extremely dry state. Perth, Adelaide and Sydney all face bleak futures if the pollies dont get off their butts and sort the water situation.

For mine, you need at least two 'permanent residences' when not travelling - one in the north of Oz and the other somewhere in Tassie. Hobart has struggled to top 25 this summer, gets plenty of rain, and would be an awesome place to sit around a log fire for a week or two in April before boarding a jet to the Whitsundays and my tropical oasis ::

Alternately, somewhere in NZ for the summer, and bum around Asia all Winter - pick your fantasy, then find the money to make it happen.

Archived