British gal raped and murdered Samui

BuffHello

Tourist found dead in Thailand

02/01/2006 17:25 - (SA)

# Brit murdered in Thailand

Bangkok - The body of a 21-year-old female British tourist was found on Monday floating in waters off the southeastern Thai resort island of Samui, police said.

The woman was identified as Catherine Horton of Cardiff, Wales, and her corpse was discovered by a man who rents jet skis to tourists.

Horton, who arrived in Thailand on December 27 and reached the island on December 31, was travelling with a fellow student, police said.

"We don't know the cause of death yet," police major Thanongsak Aksornsom, chief investigator on Samui island, told AFP.

He declined to comment on a Thai television report that Horton had been raped before being murdered.

"The body will sent for an autopsy," Thanongsak said.

British embassy staff could not be reached for comment late on Monday.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BuffHello

Your subject line says 'Raped and Murdered', but at this stage there are no facts as to how she died? I read on a couple other news sites that the police have found her body, but a post mortem has not been carried out yet and there are no indications of rape in the slightest. Rape hasnt even been mentioned anywhere else as yet, from what i have read. TThey have just found her body washed up on the beach/headland. The news clippings do not even mention murder.

I hope to god she wasnt raped. But lets not sugest she was until even the slightest clue has been detected.

She may have partied too hard, went to check out the fireworks on the beach with all the other revellers, too much Thai Whisky and went for a midnight swim and drowned.... no one knows how she died yet.

As i said, i hope she wasnt raped and murdered. That would be fuckin heart breaking man.

Batty, there seemed to be an implication that it was murder in the report i saw but as you say no proof of rape at this time. And as you suggested untill the cause of death is confirmed it could have been a tragic accident? However it occured its obviously totally heart breaking for her family. I'm slightly surprised there hav'nt been more posts on this thread by now given the recent interest in farang deaths on the board? However, tragic as these deaths are, i personally still feel safer in Thailand than in the UK. In London alone on the night of new years eve/new years day between midnight and 3am there where 38 stabbings.

Simie.

simie said:However, tragic as these deaths are, i personally still feel safer in Thailand than in the UK. In London alone on the night of new years eve/new years day between midnight and 3am there where 38 stabbings.

Simie.

Agreed. As long as you're not actively looking for trouble, and you have a decent head on your shoulders, I think thailand is very safe overall.

Simie

38 stabbing in 3 hours! WTF! London is an absoloute shit hole these days, dont you think? Fuckin shite.

I too feel safer in LOS than London, especialy on NYE.

Do you have a link for the news report you saw? I Have read a couple but no mention of murder... not even a hint as of yet. Im hopinng she partied too hard, went for a swim and passed out with a peacefull drowning. Cant imagine the thought of a 21 year old student on holiday beign raped on the beach and cooly disposed of. What a fuckin shite way to go.

Here is a report from the BBC. Again, no mention of murder, lets hope it stay that way.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4575482.stm

This is very bad.

My heart goes out to the family, must be terrible for them.

BuffHello,

Next time please only report what has been proven, rape, at this stage, is just a speculation and very misleading in your thread title.

Let's hope that rape didn't happen.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25689-1967406,00.html

Acording to this report, there are indeed suggestions of murder. At this point it is only a suggestion, according to local witnesses. Apparently local news reports show a picture of her on the beach with heavy bruising.

One fact for certain is that she walked along the beach at 9pm, and didnt come back. With this in mind, it's more than possible that she was murdered.

I hope not, but dosent look to good having read this latest report.

Fellang deaths are allways horrible, regardless of gender/age etc... but there is something about a '2 week tourist' woman being killed here (if she was) that turns my stomach that little bit more.

Tragic.

THE NATION

2 Jan 2006

British tourist found dead off Samui island

The body of a 21-year-old female British tourist was found Monday floating in waters off the southeastern Thai resort island of Samui, police said.

The young woman was identified as Catherine Horton of Cardiff, Wales, and her corpse was discovered by a man who rents jet skis to tourists.

Horton, who arrived in Thailand on December 27 and reached the island on December31, was travelling with a fellow student, police said.

"We don't know the cause of death yet," police major Thanongsak Aksornsom, chief investigator on Samui island, told AFP. He declined to comment on a Thai television report that Horton had been raped before being murdered.

"The body will sent for an autopsy," Thanongsak said.

British embassy staff could not be reached for comment late Monday.

Agence France-Presse

Archived