Thai Comprehension : Males vs Females

The thread started by Hall prompted a very good question for me - who are better listeners when being spoken to in Thai by a farang - males or females?

Personally I think females are better by a long way. I'm not sure exactly why but it's interesting to observe the differences between female and male conductors on an aircon bus in Bangkok. Take note of the conductor's body language next time you take one. Female conductresses seem to be comfortable when spoken to whereas male conductors visibly take one step back and seem to look around them with an expression on their face that pleads for help even before you've uttered a single word.

Even before the words 'World Trade' or 'Sukhumwit haa sip haa' have come from your lips, it as though a barrier comes down - "you're farang - I won't be able to understand you - end of story" I find it so irritating.

I think the bus conductor scenario illustrates the point beautifully. Females seem to be willing to try and understand: Males just wave the white flag before the conversation even gets underway and generally look terrified when faced with interaction with a foreign Thai speaker.

Archived