First Trip To Thailand Next Week Feb 1!!

marmite

Hello to all! I'm a 27yr old guy from rainy but beautiful Vancouver, Canada.

My first trip to Bangkok is coming up fast and furious although not fast enough! Damn my last week at work went painfully slow! Now at least I have a few days to prepare and relax before I leave next Wednesday the 1st of Feb.

My flight leaves at around 12:30pm, flying via Narita with a couple hour layover and I get into BK at about 10:35pm on the 2nd.

I am only in Bangkok for 2 nights and 3 days before heading down south to Samui, Koh Pahgnan, Krabi, Phi Phi, Phuket and then back to BK for 3 more nights before I leave to go home March 4.

My buddy who Im going to be travelling with flys in from the Phillipines a day after I arrive so I will be solo for my first night.

I've read that I should exchange money at the airport as they give great rates but I am still mulling over whether to bring TC's or just use my ATM card?? Checked with my bank yesterday and the bastards charge $4 Canadian service charge per withdrawal and the rate they give doesn't seem all that great costing me around $35CAD for 1000BHT(not incl the s/c) . What would you guys suggest???

Maybe I am penny pinching a bit but I would much rather spend my extra cash on having fun than handing it over to the bank.

Can I still grab a flight on the departure level if I have to exchange money first? Since I am arriving pretty late in the evening I am wanting to save as much time as possible to get to my hotel as soon as possible. Don't want to be waiting in any long taxi cues.

How much should a cab be to the Swiss Park on Sukhumvit Soi 11? Have any of you guys stayed there before?? How is it? Looks Ok to me and nice and central, thats why I chose it :)

I would like to get a nice massage after my long flight. Any recommendations??? or do I just try find a BG to do it???

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! And if anyone is around my first night in the city and wants to show me the ropes and have a couple on me that would be cool!

Hi,

Oh, man, are you in for a good time :)

The taxi should be about 200-250 I would guess including the 50 Baht surcharge (never take a taxi to Sukhumvit, but that amount sounds about right). Traffic should be fairly light by that time.

"$4 Canadian service charge per withdrawal" sound awfully high, btw. Afraid I can't help you out on the money question as living here I don't really exchange money :)

Sanuk!

Bring T/C, as you will get a better exchange rate.

Change a few hundred at the airport for taxi money, etc.

Most likely your hotel will not have a good exchange rate.

Check the small bank inside the skytrain station, as they usually have a good rate.

If you bring cash, you can exchange in China town and get good rates, but the cash should be $100 bills or larger.

Most likely a bar girl will not give you the best massage. Go to a legit massage parlor, for a real, Thai massage.

If you want a "special" massage, the a bar girl is OK, or one of the massage shops that offer special massages.

If I was you, and time was precious, I wouldn't waste it going to the departure level, I would head straight for the arrivals hall (turn left as you enter) the currency exchanges are on your left, change some currency there and head for the taxi stand (avoiding the touts) it's just outside the terminal to your right, and should be quiet at that time of night. When you change your money remember to get a couple of hundred baht changed into smaller notes/change for the expressway ect which you are required to pay in addition to the meter fee. IMO the total cost for the taxi will be in the 300 to 350 range but it does depend on the trafic. Check if you can get the address/map of your hotel written in Thai from their web site, if you can, print it off to show the taxi driver.

Unless I'm mistaken, Swiss Park is on a small sub soi and taxi drivers seem to have a problem finding their way into it. Regarding money, I always bring a reasonable amount in high denomination TCs (saves a lot of signing) and a few debit/credit cards cards, Thailand is not a place to be without access to cash, if you only have one card and you loose it or a ATM eats it you have a big problem. Finally, if you want a good massage, go to a Massage Parlour, BGs don't usually give good service in that respect, but you may get lucky. In any case, be sure to sample a Bangkok soapy before you return home. :beer:

ATM or T/C?

Well if ATM has such heavy withdrawel charges & if you can get T/C fee free then the choice is easy isn't it?

Plain cash also gets you good rates if willing to trek to super rich opposite WTC, but as a newbie I doubt you'll ever find the those shops!!

Actually any bank branch airport or otherwise will give same rates on same day, but as rates fluctate daily its all a crap shot at the best rate!

Chok dee & don't forget to try the soapy slide at one of the massage parlours even annies behind nana & rajah hotels will do ;)

marmite said:

How much should a cab be to the Swiss Park on Sukhumvit Soi 11? Have any of you guys stayed there before?? How is it? Looks Ok to me and nice and central, thats why I chose it :)

costs exactly 236 Baht excl. Highway taxes and 50 Baht Airport Taxi fee.

About the hotel, check the Hotel Reviews.

pe7e said:

Unless I'm mistaken, Swiss Park is on a small sub soi and taxi drivers seem to have a problem finding their way into it.

Since there is a famous Asian food restaurant beside the Swiss Park building (owned by a Thai TV Cook), Taxi drivers can find it more easy. :)

Ya I know if I take all my cash out at once I won't get charged much but I'd prefer not to carry that amount around with me in case something happens. At least TCs are insured and can't be used unless someone forges my sig and has ID too. Going to stick with the TCs and try get them in $200 denominations.

Thanks for all the advice! 2 more sleeps!! :-)

PS....anyone know any good seafood places near to my hotel. I'm a seafood fiend!

Archived