Where are Diesel jeans made?

steffi

So I met an English guy who exports clothing from Thailand and we got talking about copy Diesel jeans. Anyway he suggested that the only thing about the jean that was made in Italy was the label..... Anybody know if this is the case? He also said that they only have to put on a zip in Italy in order to say "Made in Italy" He suggested that sometimes the copy product here is ok. I suggested to him that the cut might not be the same as the original and he agreed.

wd

Dear S.,

I have a very good friend in PTTY. He is making a living selling selling Diesel, and other sports wear, off e-bay. He buys the copies off the ship in Laem Chabang port, or in Pratunam Market in BKK. He has been doing this for 3 years. The copies are made in China. I have seen them and they look like the real thing to this untrained eye. And he has never had any complaints from any of his customers

What's considered typical price for Diesel jeans then? Originals in the states would be from 120-180 USD in the Diesel shop there. Probably wouldn't be interested in paying anything over 600 thb per pair and then I'd like to do better than that too if possible.

• 1 month later...

From my understanding not the entire Diesel product is made in Italy, but I have no idea about whether it is just the zipper :dunno:

A guy that sells these jeans that I know in town to tourists and farangs also does some selling elsewhere of the 'kawng plawm' fake Diesels by mail. He said the ones he gets out of China are better knock offs and then displays the Thai knock offs alongside them and sells one for signifigantly more.. He claims the Chinese version in Thailand can bring between 800 and 1800 baht from Thais to tourists, and far more by selling overseas. He does not even try to pass the Thai versions off as real.

It is obvious upon close examination the copycats have effectively knocked off a few styles and not so much the others. In terms of cut if you go to a Diesel Denim Lab in L.A. or New York or wherever the staff will tell you each one varies slightly individually and you can try on a few pairs of the same size and have a different experience or fit.

All in all the Chinese knock offs of the jeans at least a few versions are pretty flawless and can fool someone on EBAY too probably :idea: not that all the consumers on there are "discerning".

Cheers,

the_numbers

The knockoffs on ebay are usually pretty easy to spot. Have a look at the sellers shipping location. If they're coming from HK, Thailand, Malaysia etc, it's a good bet they're fake. Sometimes the seller will get cheeky and list the USA or UK as their location, but if you read the feedback there will almost always be some comments like "shipping from Thailand took 2 weeks" or "money sent to the USA but product shipped from Malaysia" yadda yadda yadda. Sellers saying they don't have the tags is also a warning sign.

I would go a little further than that and state virtually ALL new 'designer' clothing and accessories sold on ebay are fake irespective of where they are sold/shipped from or what the seller says regarding the authenticity. The pricing structure of the genuine product does not enable it to be sold at profit for less than half the recommended retail price, in addition to this the brand holders only supply to their authorised stockists via the authorised distributor and do not sell to general 'wholesalers'. Occasionally genuine clearance goods come onto the secondary market, but these are always the old styles and odd sizes, new popular styles are never cleared at discount prices. Trust me on this, I do know what I am talking about! There is no foolproof way to tell the genuine from the fake, sometimes it's easy when the quality is low, but the best quality fakes can actually be better quality than the originals and near impossible to spot, it's a minefield for buyers. The best indicator of if a product is genuine or not is the price, if it's too cheap it's fake 99% of the time, if you're not buying it from an authorised stockest it's fake 75% of the time. Another good indicator is the quality of the packaging, counterfeiters frequently overlook this, you frequently see high end goods in cheap nasty packing. Regarding 'Tags', I would point out these are easier to copy than the goods themselves, but the bar codes are usually invalid. To further complicate the issue the brand holders frequently licence distributors/manufacture in different regions of the world so genuine goods (licenced) can differ considerably from country to country, genuine deisel jeans produced for the Thai market will almost certainly be graded differently from product destined for the American market.

"the best quality fakes can actually be better quality than the originals and near impossible to spot, it's a minefield for buyers"

i dont get it. where is the mine? i mean, what is so bad about buying a - horror! - fake which is better than the original?

"if it's too cheap it's fake"

oh i got it, the danger is that i would not spend enough money :p

I dont get it. where is the mine? i mean, what is so bad about buying a - horror! - fake which is better than the original?

If the items are for your own use there's no problem at all, I buy stuff for myself from MBK and the stalls on Sukhumvit on every trip. The problem starts when you buy several hundred items (in good faith), display them for sale in a city center store, and get a visit from the brand holders rep who after making a test purchase, returns with the authorities and a court order! The best you can expect is a fine and the stock confiscated, but, if they can prove intent to defraud on your part or show you failed to exercise due dillegence you could face a prison sentence. I got stung myself around 3 years ago with a consignment of 'Evisu' clothing and jeans that I had purchased from a known and trusted supplier. It ended up costing me in excess of 1.5 million baht (equivalent) and bankrupted my supplier, who had himself been duped into buying a container load of the counterfeit Evisu, the quality btw, was exceptional but the supporting documentation was shown to be forged. For some people, buying high quality fakes can be very bad indeed :(

I don't generally have a problem with fakes, provided I know they are fakes, I would wear a fake T shirt but I wouldn't offer it for sale in my shop, neither would I want a set of fake brake pads fitting to my BMW or be taking fake drugs for a serious medical condition even if it was saving me money. ::

Archived