Wild Wild West

September 1989.

This is a story of one night in my life and the fates of all involved. Its not about Thailand, its Muskogee Oklahoma USA.

Its a true story and one that might shock some people around the world about small town USA.

Kieth, Brian and I all worked at the same restaurant. After work we got a case of beer and went driveing around in Kieths 1970 SS Camaro, which we had all helped him restore. It was a friday night and we went looking for a party.

Kieth takes us to Little Dannys house in a bad part of town. Dannys dad owns a couple of seedy bars and run down propertys in this area. Danny and some of his friends live in this shit hole of a house with no electric on and an abandoned hotel next door, which his dad owns, that seems to have people living in it.

Im not happy about being here, but Kieths drunk and horny and wants to fuck Dannys sister. I try to get Kieths attention so we can leave but he is in caveman mode as usual when hes drunk and looks at me like im trying move in on his girl, no way i would fuck the skank. The drinking continues and im avoiding an indian girl makeing eyes at me with "hickies" all over her neck from whoever was with her the night before. Everybody is outside and theres decent light from the street lights.

From out of the alley come 2 black guys, one small and skinny and the other has his shirt off and looks like Mike Tyson. Oh shit, i think to myself as I run my tounge over the bridge I have on my upper front teeth as memorys come rushing back. I was robbed 2 years prior to this night just a few blocks from here by a couple of guys just like this. They ambushed me at a gas station on my way to work and it cost me my wallet and 3 front teeth. Its not them but they act just the same. The little one is running his mouth about this is my "Mutha Fucka" ,pointing to his big partner, "Fuck all of you"

A guy with bushy black hair wearing a cap with a handle bar mustache and baggy clothes, who looked out of it when we had arrived at Dannys and who hadnt said a word since we had been there, pulls out a small handgun and points it at Mr. Tyson. Meanwhile the little bigmouth runs away down the alley. The big black guy is scared shitless as the guy puts him against the house with the gun in his chest. He starts going through the guys pockets with his free hands and relieves him of a little money. Then he motions for tyson to beat it and he runs away down the alley. The gunman now steals somebodys bike and proceeds to weave his way down the street. He makes it about a block and then just falls over and doesnt move.

Now Im sure the black guys are gonna return with a gun and probably reinforcments. The gun play has got Kieths attention and we leave, much to my relief. We then go to Georges house. George and Kieth grew up together and though George is a real big guy he is scared of Kieth and lets him push him around. Theres vodka and i play bartender makeing slammer shots mixed with sprite and sweet and sour mix.

As usual Kieth starts picking on George but tonight George isnt having it and is kicking Kieths ass, as I knew he always could if he fought back. I help break up the fight and we get outside and into Kieths car. He is in a rage and takes me and Brian on a stop sign running rampage that is scareing me shitless. Brian is just haveing a blast and turning up the music to drown out my protests.

We get to Damons place, he lives in a trailer home behind his sisters house. Kieth is being too loud and raising hell about kicking Geoges ass which wakes up Damons sisters husband who comes out pissed off wanting to know what the hell is going on. Kieth punchs him several times before we can jump in and now Damons sister calls the police. Kieth and Brian get back in the car but i refuse and they leave me. The police chased them and they ran a stop sign broad sideing another car at such a high speed that it sent the other car through the wall of the muskogee unemployment office killing all 3 people and killing Kieth instantly.

Brian survived the crash but had a lengthy recovery in the hospital. I never hung out with this group of people again. 10 years later Brian shot and killed a guy and got life in prison. Little Danny was changeing a flat tire on a country road and a guy twice his size beat him to death with a tire iron, for what reason I dont know.

This was a night that changed my life, i got married had kids and stayed away from anybody who might get me in trouble. America is as dangerous as any country on earth if you dont stay away from the wrong people and the wrong places.

Guest lazyphil

some 12 years ago me and a mate were driving around california (in a chevy of course ::) and were trying to cross the high sierra via tioga pass but was snow bound, figured we'd have to go via frseno and bakersfield to get to yosemite/mount whitney then on to vegas, grand canyon area.....was warned under no circumtances by several people to avoid staying in fresno as it was/is a 'zoo' full of oakies ::

Fresno has lots more problems then Oakies.

but yeah you can get into trouble real easy in the USA,

there are so many guns ,estimated at more than one per person,

and then you throw in booze and young hormones / no brains and crazy shit can happen,

Not sure if its more or less than anywhere else , but it can get out of hand alot quicker with all the guns

OC

Your story triggers memories. Back about a dozen years or so I dated a young ?un from Des Moines. I?m no preacher of virtue but I was thoroughly surprised by the tales she had. Filled with characters and situations that mirror your experience. The full gamut - trailer homes, sketchy black dudes, drunken white trash, dudes with names like ?Little Danny?, brawls? real eye-opening for a city slicker who thought big danger only existed in the metropolis?

Archived