1st time to PP for 3 days, recommendations ?

INTJ

I am off to PP for 3 days next week. Could anyone give me a list of "must sees", and a recommendation for a decent but not too expensive hotel ?

When I say must sees, I mean nightlife, but also any cultural places of interest. I heard about a museum at Toul Sleng, is it worth a visit ? Anything similar ?

Many Thanks,

INTJ.

INTJ,

Flamingos is a nice hotel in the $20-$30 range and the location is great, around the corner from Walkabout (24 hour access to freelancers) and many other bars near as well. http://www.flamingos.com.kh/

The genocide museum at Tuel Sleng is worth seeing as well as the Killing Fields. Less depressing is the Royal Palace and National Museum. Have a drink on the balcony at the FCC or another place on the riverside around sunset. Happy Pizza is good if you are so inclined, about a half dozen places near the FCC on the river, all with "Happy" in their name.

Nightlife, Sharkey's and Martini's are still the big 2. Hostess type bars are all over. Shanghai, Rose, Zanzibar, DV8 are 4 off the top of my head that are good. Sophie's is a BJ bar and not for the faint of heart. Ly Cyrcee is another "hands on" bar.

Have fun

Ranger

Thanks Ranger. The Flamingo sounds fine. Should I book in advance, or is it OK to just show up ?

Also, another question regarding currency. What is the best way to procure some USD ? Change THB at the airport in PP, or get some here in LOS before I go ? And could you give me a quick rundown of P4P rates ?

Thanks Again,

INTJ.

Ranger said:

INTJ,

Have a drink on the balcony at the FCC or another place on the riverside around sunset. Happy Pizza is good if you are so inclined, about a half dozen places near the FCC on the river, all with "Happy" in their name.

Ranger

Ring a bell ??

from the FCC and from the FCC

and the happy pizza place

Bada :: Bing

Just a quick update.

I arrived in PP yesterday morning, and I must say I absolutely love the place. Ranger you were spot on with everything as usual, the Flamingos hotel is great and in a good location. The evening along the riverfront has a unique vibrance. Had evening meal at the FCC which a really nice place with a good atmosphere and reasonable prices. The Khmer people are so friendly, and the city is really charming with a totally laid back feel to it. Had one of the best P4P ever (really) with a girl from Walkabout yesterday afternoon, went to the National Museum, then to Sharkys last night.

Up early this morning for a croissant and cafe au lait at the FCC, and today I will go to Toul Sleng.

I am completely captivated by this amazing place. To anyone who is considering coming (like I did for many years but never got round to it), I would say just go for it, you wont regret it. I'm only here for 2 more nights, but will return again and again.

Regards,

INTJ.

Glad to see you are having a good time.

Yes, I was there in July. Stayed at The Flamingos too. Great hotel. Great location. Great staff. Price is right.

Hope you got a change to have a conversation with the Innkeeper. Nice gentleman. He is the spitting image of John Cleese - of Faulty Towers fame !

Just sit at the bar in the lobby and you will meet some of the most interesting people anywhere. I did. Wealth of information.

Yes, the people are friendly. Yes, it is safe. Yes, there is lots to see. And if you like to shop, go to one of the two local "markets". One is just up couple blocks from The Flamingos.

I hope to get back and see more.

Toul Sleng is extremely harrowing, but I would say absolutely essential on any itinerary to gain some idea of how the Cambodian people have suffered in comparitively recent times. That the people can have such a traumatic past yet be so upbeat and positive is truly staggering. Nothing can really prepare you for the experience.

Its my last day today, and I'm not at all glad to be leaving. If I didn't have so many commitments in Thailand I could easily spend a few months here travelling around. I haven't felt so completely swept away by a country or its people since I first went to Thailand in 1993 (when it was much different to what it is today).

I love it here.

INTJ.

Archived