how liberal britain let hate flourish

paul101

paul101 said:
Evel_Penivel said:

The Qu'ran isn't considered the "real" holy book unless in Arabic. Versions in English and other languages aren't called the Qu'ran, but the Qu'ran in translation and can't be used in any ceremony requiring the Qu'ran.

:devil:

You are right and what a pity this is, rather like insisting that people should only read the bible in ancient greek. It leads to muslims in most countries learning great chunks of the koran without knowing what it actually means. Perhaps some of the Imams prefer to keep them in the dark?

Indeed, what is forgotten in the present turmoil is that the Koran, like the Bible by many is considered to be one of the great masterpieces in world literature.

Isn't it amazing that world history and peoples' life so much has been

influenced by literary creations, the Marcus gospel and the Koran?

Says something about the power of great literature...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sent me -- unfortunately with the source not included:

Muslim outrage huh. OK ... let's do a little historical review. Just some lowlights:

Muslims fly commercial airliners into buildings in New York City. No Muslim outrage.

Muslim officials block the exit where school girls are trying to escape a burning building because their faces were exposed. No Muslim outrage.

Muslims cut off the heads of three teenaged girls on their way to school in Indonesia. A Christian school. No Muslim outrage.

Muslims murder teachers trying to teach Muslim children in Iraq. No Muslim outrage.

Muslims murder over 80 tourists with car bombs outside cafes and hotels in Egypt. No Muslim outrage.

A Muslim attacks a missionary children's school in India. Kills six. No Muslim outrage.

Muslims slaughter hundreds of children and teachers in Beslan, Russia. Muslims shoot children in the back. No Muslim outrage.

Let's go way back. Muslims kidnap and kill athletes at the Munich Summer Olympics. No Muslim outrage.

Muslims fire rocket-propelled grenades into schools full of children in Israel. No Muslim outrage.

Muslims murder more than 50 commuters in attacks on London subways and busses. Over 700 are injured. No Muslim outrage.

Muslims massacre dozens of innocents at a Passover Seder. No Muslim outrage.

Muslims murder innocent vacationers in Bali. No Muslim outrage.

Muslim newspapers publish anti-Semitic cartoons. No Muslim outrage.

Muslims are involved, on one side or the other, in almost every one of the 125+ shooting wars around the world. No Muslim outrage.

Muslims beat the charred bodies of Western civilians with their shoes, then hang them from a bridge. No Muslim outrage.

Newspapers in Denmark and Norway publish cartoons depicting Mohammed. Muslims are outraged.

Dead children. Dead tourists. Dead teachers. Dead doctors and nurses. Death, destruction and mayhem around the world at the hands of Muslims . no Muslim outrage ... but publish a cartoon depicting Mohammed with a bomb in his turban and all hell breaks loose.

Come on, is this really about cartoons? They're rampaging and burning flags. They're looking for Europeans to kidnap. They're threatening innkeepers and generally raising holy Muslim hell not because of any outrage over a cartoon. They're outraged because it is part of the Islamic jihadist culture to be outraged. You don't really need a reason. You just need an excuse. Wandering around, destroying property, murdering children, firing guns into the air and feigning outrage over the slightest perceived insult is to a jihadist what tailgating is to a Steeler's fan.

I know and understand that these bloodthirsty murderers do not represent the majority of the world's Muslims. When, though, do they become outraged? When do they take to the streets to express their outrage at the radicals who are making their religion the object of worldwide hatred and ridicule? Islamic writer Salman Rushdie wrote of these silent Muslims in a New York Times article three years ago. "As their ancient, deeply civilized culture of love, art and philosophical reflection is hijacked by paranoiacs, racists, liars, male supremacists, tyrants, fanatics and violence junkies, why are they not screaming?"

Indeed. Why not? go figure

maybe I should put it this way: do all these believers and fanatics on the islamists and Christian side ever reflect upon the fact that they actually worship literary creations: Mohamed in the Koran, Jesus in the Evangeliou kata Markou. Even if they existed, the worship is focused on their literary created personas. Time for a religion on Hamlet (or maybe Private Dancer, surprisingly there seems to be a cult already on this mediocre novel).

International Herald Tribune has a good story today by John Vinocur - always brilliant - about a "post-politically correct" trend in Europe, starting in the Netherlands, in the wake of the islamistisc outrage. People in Europe are now talking straight about the problems with islamic immigration, something which was tabu just a few years back. Not surprising considering that Amsterdam would have a muslim majority by the year 2020 and already now 65 per cent - SIXTY FIVE percent - of the young people have a muslim backgound. The implications for Europe are enormous, and scary. Personally I find it obvious that islam in its present practice is not compatible with Western style modernity and democracy.

Guest lazyphil

<<already now 65 per cent - SIXTY FIVE percent - of the young people have a muslim backgound. The implications for Europe are enormous, and scary>>

very scary, blood will be spilt on the streets of europe (I DONT WANT THIS BTW!!!) before not too long imo, europe is a christian continent and should stay so.

carygrant said:

[

Isn't it amazing that world history and peoples' life so much has been

influenced by literary creations, the Marcus gospel and the Koran?

Says something about the power of great literature...

The first time I have seen scripture refered to as literature. I don't agree with those who put the bible and koran in the same basket as I cannot see much in common and certainly not in the lives of the founders of islam and christianity, in fact they could hardly be more different. The power of scripture is indeed amazing and just goes to show you can fool some of the people all of the time.

" The ultimate shock...comes when we realize that the Western worship of God - by Jews, Christians and Muslims - is the worship of a literary

character, J's (anonymous author, cg's remark) Yahweh, however adulterated by pious revisionists. The only comparable shock I know come when we realize that the Jesus loved by Christians is a literary character largely invented (INVENTED, cg's remark) by the author of the Gospel of Mark, and when we read the Koran and hear one voice only, the voice of Allah, recorded in detail and length by the audacity of his prophet Mohamed" ("The Western Canon" by Harold Bloom, Prof of Humanities, Yale Uni, my favourite literary critic).

Agree of course that these religions - or at least the ways they are practised - are very different. As I said, islam is deeply problematic for Europe.

Not my intention to transform this distinctly secular site into a theology seminar.. but at least I didn't post this in the "Night life" section...

The Bhagavad-Gita giving you a rash when you use it as a bum wipe is related to the fact that Hinduism does not allow converts. Trust me, only use the Koran to wipe your arse. I swear I can actually feel Muhammad's tongue licking me clean.

Big_Kahuna said:

The Bhagavad-Gita giving you a rash when you use it as a bum wipe is related to the fact that Hinduism does not allow converts. clean.

where did you get that from that you cannot convert to Hinduism? I did if breifly from 1972-1975. No not the Hare krishna's but they are also Hindus and have a lot of converts.BTW the Rammayana is better for toilet paper as it's a much thicker book.

Archived