amalgam fillings removal?

paul101

What say ye about these, work of the devil or harmless and better left in place? I believe they are condemed by the WHO and banned in some countries but there still seems no conclusive proof one way or the other. I have thought of having mine out (about12) to see if it improves certain health problems but it's a lot to spend if it's just quackery and would'nt make any difference. In the UK it's still widely used, anyone have them out?

Hi Jintara,

They're pretty much harmless. It's known that these amalgam fillings release mercury but in such small percentages that it has no serious affect to one's health.

It's banned in Germany. In Thailand is widely used, also in military basis, due to its cheaper price, easier to manipulate and the fact that it's longer lasting compared to the tooth color material (resin composite).

Foreigners, Japanese in particular, favor the latter due to its nicer look and no mercury release.

You're safe, don't worry.

I used to have about 20 amalgam fillings, no obvious health problems.

I am a doctor and used to discuss your question with my colleagues. One is a doctor and at the same time a dentist, he is a very scientifically minded man, a sceptic. He sees no proof that amalgam is harmful.

Another one is a doctor, too, a religious woman (fundamentalist), who wrote her Ph.D.-thesis on this subject. She strongly advised me to have the amalgam removed, but the removal should be done with the necessary precautions because it is during the removal when most mercury can enter your body.

As I had no obvious problems I did not actively remove the fillings, but whenever I needed new fillings I chose not to have amalgam anymore but gold (which is much better anyway, my dentist colleague highly recommends it).

BTW amalgam is not banned in Germany, that's a myth.

Yes that's probably the best way to go have them replaced as needed with something else. I have met one woman who had all hers removed who swore by it and wished she had done it years before. When having them out you can ask for a dam to be put in the mouth to help prevent swallowing bits of filling, except for the very rear teeth.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived