kingdom of cambodia

nutsack

hello,

i have been visiting cambodia for years and think that at present is a great time to go. firstly, the people are incerdibly genuine and sweet, the experience less touristed and hence more authentic and it is fast changing - see it before it is gone forever.

secondly, i personally like the fact that it seems to me that the stuff that made cambodia really bad has kind of evolved itself away from the main nightlife scene. totally gone, perhaps not, but thankfully away from the good clean fun that can be had at an ever increasing number of funky and varied nighlife venues. cambodia, in my opinion is kind of growing up and taking on tourism and has really developed a pretty cool nightlife circuit that allows all types to kind of intermingle without offense being given or so easily taken. it is not unusual to be at a pub, disco or pickup joint and share company with all - punters, taxigirls,backpackers, females, all races - kmer and foriegners and all seem to get along quite nicely.

the critism that cambodia has gotten in the press and on boards like this and others is without a doubt warrented in many cases, but i, for one, like the direction it is now going. i mean, the general cambodian population in no way deserves to pay the price for what a small select group of evil folks do .

guys who havent been before - i think you will be truely surprised at what awaits you there. and guys who have gone and didnt like it - you might also be surprised of what it has become. i mean, nowadays, anyone who visits and has had a great time most likely hasnt even wasted their time at such places as k11, 63 st, or martinis.

and i hope i am not being over promotional here, but if anyone is in need of a good, honest driver for their visit in cambodia, i pass on this website for mr chan thol. i got his name of off this site many years ago when the site went by a different name. i told mr chan that i would pass on his site, which a friend of his put together for him.

mr chan has a new car as well.

http://mrchantaxi.tripod.com

have a good trip and i am also happy to answer any questions you might have about this post.

Some like to travel some don't.

I traveled to Thailand with a friend or two on every trip. It was very difficult to get either of them to leave Bangkok. "Why" they kept saying. "When everything I want is here", they would say.

It took a lot of cajoling just to get them to go to Pattaya. And now Pattaya is the destination.

Last trip I took a detour to Phnom Penh. Went by myself. Loved it. I agree with above. Cambodia is a unique, yet beautiful excursion.

For those that fly to Chiang Mai or Phuket, take a flight to Phnom Penh.

Phnom Penh was laid out by the French. So, it can be very beautiful.

Go for it !

Over the last two years, most of Phnom Phens side streets have been paved and the affect has been extrodinary; almost every block has old, previously neglected colonial era buildings being rehabed into apartments, restaurants and shops. While I hope the city doesn't get too gentrified, it really is amazing seeing it come alive.

If authorities can someday get control of the riverfront along Sisowath and get rid of the cars parked on the sidewalk, it could turn into a world class "Promanade"

Ten years from now, people will refer back to this period and say "Remember when you could still pick up a building cheap-----"

Archived