Japanese... is it right? do they care?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weird said:

Racism is predjudice based on race. If you can't even get that straight, then there is no point in replying to the rest of your comments.

You don't have to actively work to oppress a group to be racist.

Hi weird,

Well, to give a straight answer, I disagree. By your first definition, the entire population of the world is racist, which makes the word meaningless. I defy you to find anybody who does not have some prejudices based on race.

It is acting on those prejudices to disadvantage people because of their race that is racist.

Khwai

Dear Mr. "Weird,"

I do believe "Old Hippie" did indeed make the point. That is sir, one can be prejudice without being a racist. However, I don't think it at all possible for one to be a racist without being predjudiced. A bigot is indeed one who holds his beliefs and perhapes himself to be better or above all others, and simply refuses to hear a different opinion, let alone comprehend it. So, Again sir, one can be a bigot without being a racist.

I should further note, that one can be predjudiced against another for reasons other than race. Religion, appearance, physical condition or disability, gender etc are just some of the predjudices which unfortuneately exist in our society. It is not just as simple as race.

One can be bigoted in his political views, or religious views, or on a particular topic, yet not be a racist. I however would be inclined to argue that a bigot is indeed predjudiced.

Now Than, a racist, yes, well, When one proclaims his race superior, it could be argued that he does so while simultaneously declaring all others to be inferior. He may indeed partake in behavior which is inclined to "keep others down or oppress them" as "Old Hippie" phrased it. So you see lad, the explanation and definitions were indeed correct.

May I suggest lad, that you sit down, relax, and try to think of this with the intellect you no doubt possess, and make your comments with your brain rather than your "heart" or emotions.

Best Regards-BST

If you want to think about it with intellect then you need to stop trying to limit your definition upon the notion that somebody must physically act on racist notions. Simply voicing your opinion is acting on it and therefore racist. You influence other people with racist notions and that is infact acting upon it.

I never said you couldn't be predjudice without being racist. If you review what I posted as the definition I stated that racism is a form of predjudice, not all inclusive.

BTW: you don't have to literally say "Such and such is a superior race and all others are inferior" to be a racist, even though it seems some of you seem to believe so.

Weird said:

Simply voicing your opinion is acting on it ..........

Hi weird,

Well, something is wrong then. I have always thought that "racism" was a bad and undesirable thing and rightly should be discouraged if not made criminal.

However, voicing opinions is not only good, it is a basic fundamental right - so this conflicts with yor interpretation of the word racism. If you are right, then racism is pretty harmless and not something to be concerned about.

But then, deciding who can vote based on skin colour (for example) becomes OK when most people would say it was wrong.

Your definition does not make sense because it trivializes what is a serious matter that can be very damaging to people.

Khwai

It doesn't trivialize anything. It merely states that there are multiple levels of racism.

By what seems to be the general consensus of the boards is that there is no possible way to label somebody else as a racist over the internet since words are not considered action(enless they admit it). If anybody wants to talk about a cop out, that has to be the biggest one I've seen yet.

BTW, ever heard the saying, the pen is mightier then the sword?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter and I don't intend to discuss this any further since it seems to be hurting peoples feelings that they could infact be a tad bit racist. I am in no way saying that I'm perfect, infact I hate everybody but myself and those close to me(Actually, I dislike all people in general). I'm just calling things as I see it.

To use an often overused quote, "I'm not racist. I hate everybody equally."

Just located this definition on Merriam Webster's website...

racism

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

bigotry

1 : the state of mind of a bigot

2 : acts or beliefs characteristic of a bigot

bigot

: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices

prejudice

(1) : preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b : an instance of such judgment or opinion c : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

I'll let you guys make your own interpretations. Hopefully we won't need to debate the validity of dictionaries. ;-)

I think the accusations flying about 'generalizing' = 'racism' are sloppy logic. Like for some who say that the Japanese are taking over 'our bars', I'd say it's a real stretch to be labeling this as racism on the part of the guy saying it. I mean, it is a sloppy way of stating it on his part (the guy who generalized in the first place-- and I was one of those guys, btw), because he should be saying 'it's very noticeable that there has been a sharp increase in the number of Japanese showing up in bars that have previously catered mainly to people who fit my general profile. But when we're talking informally like this, nobody's going to take the time to word what they say that carefully.

Someone above said everyone in the world is prejudiced. I think there is some part of human nature that has a tendency to view pepole who look different as 'other' and maybe even as an enemy. Maybe it's an instinct. But I can tell you, growing up in almost any American city, you can't really stick to a world view like that and go about life in any kind of sane way. I mean, sucking your thumb is human nature too, and you don't keep doing that when you're an adult. You learn as you get older that it's just immature to think that way, that it has no basis in reality, and that it's one belief that's caused a hell of a lot of suffering and death thru history (and actually even now). The world's getting smaller, and it's also human nature, and inevitable, that people are going to move around the world and mix, and if you want to be able to have any kind of future in a world like that, then it means people have to grow up out of that kind of thinking -- it just isn't suitable to the world we're going to be living in. The time for that kind of thinking is over now.

Anyway (yeah sorry, up on the soapbox again)...

OK so this gets some of us worked up cuz racism pisses us off. Simple as that. That's on the one hand.

Then on the other hand... some people are saying "why would you want to go into some place where you're not welcome?" Well, actually the original desire to go into a place has nothing to do with that -- it's the last thing on one's 'mind'. It

s actually something more like this... I'm walking around Bangkok and check out some places that cater to a clientele of my particular profile [ ;-) ] and after checking a few out I'm bored or dissatisfied with the selection available in those places. So I pass one of these Japanese bars and see a few cute girls out in front, and I wonder what the rest inside are like. So I want to go in. The 'not welcome' angle, for me at least, has nothing to do with the original desire to go there. It's all little-head thinking. There's a bunch of girls in there who I've never seen -- some maybe who are far more gorgeous than any I'd see in any of these farang bars (you see how the little mind's imagination works). And there you can see, this is what makes those bars seem so appealing. They're undiscovered territory, and the little Magellans among us can't stand that we're not allowed to set foot on their soil. I'd think even the most hardened (no pun intended) of you out there can at least appreciate this. My little friend never gets a thought in his head that isn't genuine. Basically, we (he and I) just want to see WOMEN. We want to go where there are women. Women we've never seen. Women possibly hotter than any we've seen before. That's a pretty strong magnet there. Not to be scoffed at.

Archived