Japanese... is it right? do they care?

Japanese only bars, big deal. There are Thai only places too. Let people congregate wherever they please as long as we have good places to go which we do. Japanese paying over par does not mean you or I will do the same and BG's know that. For BG's it is like fishing, some days they get a big one, some days have to settle for a smaller one. It is still a buyers market after all and most BG's just take what they can get given the conditions of the hour and day. Bars don't post a ST/LT fee thank goodness. My only stereotypical bias against Japanese is they are the worst chain smokers and I hate reeking like an ashtray being sandwiched between a few of them. When is this country going to cut that crap out of the bars! That's an off topic rant I guess.

Japanese paying more sets the standards for all Japanese, not all punters. I recall recently a young Japanese guy walking into a gogo. It perked up some bar girls loitering near me who commented amongst themselves he was handsome. When he paid his tab, they peered over to see how much he was tipping. It was 20 baht. They looked closer to convince themselves it was not really a 1000 baht note. They had some not so nice things to say about him. So another question is do the Japanese who pay over par ruin ruin it for other Japanese who don't? That's seems to be very much the case.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<<Yet there is never the slightest murmur of protest over the Brit-only

bars. Why is this? >>

Maybe because they don't exist? While I agree 100% of everything else you wrote, I have many times being ejected from Jap pnly Bars, have never heard off, as a resident for a number of years, anything similar happening in a Brit bar!

I have even gone into Jap bars WITH a Japanese mate of mine, only to have both of us thrown out!

With a minimal amount of editing, a Thai could easily post this on a Thai forum under the heading:

Farang... is it right? do they care?

Ok, now i know a lot of people have either covered this or have an opinion on this:

Lets face it, the Farang punters in thailand ruin the show.

Now, id like to point out i have nothing against the farang in general (I once dated a farang girl on Samui), but the majority that make their way to thailand are turning the scene sour.

Firstly they pay way over the odds. Why? Because they can? or is it because they are ignorant to the reality of what others pay? My guess is they think its a way of getting exclusivity (outpricing the Thais) and its way cheaper compared to what they can get in America or the UK.

I also think they have little to no negotiation skills as youll notice "rot rakhaa dai mai" will rarely leave a Farang mans lips in a bar.

The other and even more (for lack of a better word) offensive thing i find is the exclusive farang bars!

This is a reality: streets in major Thai towns and cities with a whole bunch of bars. The problem? Youre only allowed in if you?re a foreigner.

Creating bars/areas for specific races should have gone out the door a few decades ago, so why is it appearing here?

Ok, i understand the commercial point of view in thailand. We think farang spend big money, but in my books opening areas like this almost amount to racism.

There are plenty of foreigners in bangkok who will splash out copius amounts of money, but i havent once in all my life here seen a single Thai only bar.

Here's a question: does anyone actually know first hand of what the Japanese actually pay or are being asked to pay in, let's say, one of these Rainbow bars? How do you know?

In America and Europe, it's been part of our growth (and history) to gain this attitude of racial acceptance. Most of us would agree that this is a good thing, that black people for example shouldn't have to use a separate toilet.

Assuming that most of you are from countries where black people don't need to use separate toilets, and where you think that's right, I don't get a lot of the above.

Thais aren't allowed in some of the farang clubs? Well, assuming that's true (and I'm not totally convinced that it is), does anyone here think that's fair or justified? And don't give me any hooey about 'boyfriends of the girls make trouble and start fights'. If a bar patron starts trouble, you throw him out. You don't throw out everybody from his country forever. Anyway, that rule, if it existed, is one that the vast majority of westerners would not condone -- actually if one of us tried to go in a bar with a Thai buddy and he wasn't allowed in, I expect we'd throw a shit fit and accuse them of discrimination. I think we'd all agree that if a guy can pay for his drinks, he should be allowed to sit there and buy them.

I don't think Japanese should be an exception. Of course racisim is a big problem in their country. They haven't had to deal with it the way, say, America has because they're not as racially mixed there or as dependent on the non-Japanese population living there. Of course the non-Japanese people living in Japan are unhappy with the discrimination against them there. There just aren't enough of them with enough power to make enough trouble to bring about the kinds of changes that have happened in a place like the US.

Anyway, back to Bangkok. OK someone said the Japanese like their clubs quieter. (Again, assuming this is true, which it isn't - I highly doubt a noisy Japanese guy would be denied entry there) Well if that was true, and they wanted it that way there, then the clubs should have a rule that customers need to be quiet or will be asked to leave, just like in a cinema or library. But again, does anyone here seriously believe this is about quiet or manners?

Things written above about how some bar is really a British bar for British only. Really? There are bars in Bangkok that only allow British people, and will not allow someone from, oh, Spain to walk in the door and buy a drink? Which bar is that? And the British guys would not go there anymore if they allowed any non-British in?

The whole scene in Japan is for Japanese only. So the Thais are accommodating them here by recreating the same kind of Japanese-only clubs. That's only ok if you think racial discrimination is ok.

What should happen? Well, it'd make me very happy to see a very large group of western guys make an unexpected visit to one of these places, sit themselves down and for some reason not be able to understand what is being said when the managers come over to ask them to leave. I think it would be great if this would happen A LOT. About as often as Japanese come to the westerner bars.

If you feel angry about this, you should. It's the main reason World War 2 was fought. The American Civil War. Gandhi. Mandela. Martin Luther King. The words we use in the US for people who do stuff like that: Backward. Redneck. Bigot. Lots of people fighting for what they believed in died to stop this knid of crap.

You don't want to think they're the same thing because they're cute little Japanese guys in nice suits. Well, they are. They think you're not as good as them.

The only way to stop something like that is to make it too much trouble for them to keep trying to do it.

Ahhh, yes. But you are not in Kansas anymore Dorothy. And the world does not think as you do. Who made you the social conscience police of the world? Need I point out that you have plenty to do in America before you start harassing the world. What? you say. OK, here are a few examples far more deserving of your ire:

Torture Ban Doesn't apply to Gitmo

Not Married? So sorry, you can't live in the house you own.

Raped? Your inbred daddy knock ya up? Too bad 'ho, you know it's yer fault and yer gonna have that kid and like it!

And Mississippi thinks this is a good idea too.

Served your country? Great, thanks...now fuck off!

And of course, fags. Now they want to adopt kids. Don't think so...the little bastards are better off in a orphanage or a new foster home a month than with a family that would love them :doah:

Go work on that stuff and when you got that fixed *maybe* I'll listen to a stupid little rant about a bar that won't let your sorry ass in the door. Heaven knows that's a major social crime! NOT!!!

Color me stupid, but I maintain that if the Thais wanted it stopped, they would stop it. You have no say in the matter, you are only a guest. So unless you can enlist local Thais to make your plans reality, I suggest that you just deal with it by ignoring it..

Regards,

SD

The Japanese haven't ruined anything IMO. They're there for the same reasons you are. Who cares if they pay more? Last I checked there was no shortage of available girls. Are you pissed off because a Jap guy offered a girl more money and (shock) she went with him instead of you? That's just called being SOL my friend. So you can't get into the Japanese only clubs? What the hell would you do if you could? Bitch about the high prices? Does all of Thailand offend you as well? Coz there's a shitload of Thai only places that you won't ever be getting into either.

Some interesting replies there.... some funny ones too... i can take a dig. ::

i especially like the one where youve reversed everything i said.... could it be true? possibly :D

i havent been turned down by a girl for a japanese guy, but its more of an observation and from talking to farang in bars.

For the record..i love thailand... especially OUT of bangkok.

Inferiority complexed punters. There are so many of them in Thailand I just laugh when I see them. All over whores. Hookers. sopee nees. I've got a buddy who's Japanese American and he knows his way around Thailand. Speaks thai and has a lot's of fun. Where ever he goes some idiot farang basterd is breathing down his neck or rolling eye at him or making remarks. Why? He is having so much fun with the girls and he's cheap. You know I really hate our fat old basterd farang supporting thai bg's. Our old fat farangs are ruining it for us. Sending them thousand of dollars per month. Have you even though about this? Mr MooLor. Is Japanese paying more for short time really upsetting you? You gotta get a life dude!!!! we might be the biggest culprit in all this by paying a lot more for marrying them. BG's...paying sing sot and so forth and have them leave after the deal's closed.Paying them thousand of dollars.You know Japanese or for that matter asians don't marry BG's often.You should know you were married to one.(know a little about their culture) Don't you even read our thread? Maybe it's you. You just don't attract the girls with your charm esepecially with a little money you'd like to spend. Walking down on soi 8 in pattaya during the new year some idiot farang threw a fire cracker right at my buddy several years ago. Do you know what happened this new years eve on soi 8 in Pattaya?. A Japanese guy got hit by a firecracker in the neck by some idiot scots.You see where I'm going with this? Maybe this kind of behavior is the reason why they have Japanese only bar!! I don't think it's the Japanese you have a problem with. You, yourself have a self esteem problem. Go see a shrink!!! eee

Interesting response, theres always 2 sides to a story.

Heres an interesting line: "You know Japanese or for that matter asians don't marry BG's often."

Firstly, what has that got to do with the line of this thread, and secondly its debateable. Unless you know ALL asians how can you possibly make that statement. This idea only comes from your preconceptions and holds no weight.

"You should know you were married to one." - i suspect you mean IF i was married to one, no?

"know a little about their culture" - thats a laugh seeing as ive been to most asian countries (excluding vietnam cambodia and the philipines), and i know thinking changes between the countries.

"Maybe it's you. You just don't attract the girls with your charm esepecially with a little money you'd like to spend." - Yeah it must be that.... im 30 (certainly not bad looking) and im as opposite a cheap charlie as you can get!!

What happened with your mate and the firecracker is regretable, but thats just a minority or idiots who dont have self control.

Self esteem is something certainly not lacking on my part.

ptyrider said:

The other and even more (for lack of a better word) offensive thing

i find is the exclusive japanese bars! Imagine this: a street in any

other major western city opens a whole bunch of bars. The problem?

Youre only allowed in if your caucasian.

But a lot of go-go bars in Thailand don't admit Thais, only farang,

which you may or may not find to your advantage.

well said. Champions in pattaya and long gun in cowboy are two. I usually barhop with a mixed group of farangs , asians and thais and these two places always give us problems. We just didnt throw them our average 10k+ baht drinking business for the nite!

Archived