The Death Penalty

I was just wondering what is going on with the death penalty in Thailand. I know the sentence for trafficing narcotics is death but it used to be if the person or person confessed the sentenced was commuted to life in prison. It seems that no longer applies in most cases. I was wondering if any knows the amount or number of speed pills someone would have to be caught with in order to be sentenced to death? It seems like if it is not a REALLY high number the number of people getting the death penalty is going to dramatically increase. I can understand why the government is doing this, the number of people addicted to ya baa is stagering but if Thaialnd starts executed people on a daily basis (as the arrests seem to happen)they are going to have a lot of trouble dealing with the EU as well as other International agencies. I hope they can figure out a way to solve this problem but it doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would kind of approve of some executions, provided they would catch some big fish and give time a trial. These executions of some poor truck drivers, who carry some tablets with them, rather put me off. It has even a small of getting smell fry out of the way so the big fish never get caught.

[ September 01, 2001: Message edited by: woefta ]

"but if Thaialnd starts executed people on a daily basis (as the arrests seem to happen)they are going to have a lot of trouble dealing with the EU as well as other International agencies."

Who the hell cares what the EU thinks. Thailand has every right to execute drug dealers and anyone else its elected leaders and citizens decide should be sentenced to death.

I have little to no sympathy for drug dealers and even less for the EU. I know as an American I am pretty sick of hearing the EU whining about Capital Punishment in the United States. I don't care what Europe does with it's criminals and would kindly appreciate it if they would keep their holier-than-thou opinions to themselves when it comes to how other Democracies deal with lawbreakers.

If Thailand wants to execute their drug smugglers - I say good on them.

Toxin's government is showing they are "serious" by executing people right and left. Under Chuan, executions were few. (Only one I recall is a policeman who found his wife in bed with another man, lost his temper and shot them both dead. The courts said as a policeman, he should have set an example. Maybe just beat them up or something?) Lastest judements include the death penalty for a couple of 18 year olds. The courts are saying the crime is so serious that even confession doesn't matter. (Wonder where they suddenly got that idea.) Typical Toxin -- going overboard in everything. (Maybe he's inspired by FM Sarit Thannarat, who became popular by wiping out crime -- and criminals -- even without bothering to arrest them and have trials.)

Only thing that bothers me is that some big time politicians used to be heavly involved in the drug trade. While apparently they no longer are, the courts haven't exactly shown any interest in going after them. A few prominent big shots used to run the opium trade. Nothing is said about them, while the little guys get wasted. Like the old song, "It's the same the whole world over ..."

"Only thing that bothers me is that some big time politicians used to be heavly involved in the drug trade. While apparently they no longer are, the courts haven't exactly shown any interest in going after them. A few prominent big shots used to run the opium trade. Nothing is said about them, while the little guys get wasted. Like the old song, 'It's the same the whole world over ...'"

Flashermac - I know little (next to nothing is a better word for it) about how the death penalty is being adminstered in LOS, and since I know you have a pretty good idea what's really going on I will take you word for it. My complaint is with the damn EU running around bitching and moaning about how uncivilized any nation is if they administer Capital Punishment. I can understand the EU (or anyone else) lodging these complaints against non-democratic nations - but as long as the Thai's chose their own government through elections they have a right to handle their criminal justice system any way they please in my opinion.

Methinks the original poster meant UN not EU. The European Union is not an agency and as far as I'm aware the European Union as a whole does not take an anti-capital punishment stance. Course I could be wrong and damn those bastards to hell if they do interfere with other countries god given right to execute citizens. It's a free freaking country. LOL.

quote:

Originally posted by V. Calvino:

I was wondering if any knows the amount or number of speed pills someone would have to be caught with in order to be sentenced to death? It seems like if it is not a REALLY high number the number of people getting the death penalty is going to dramatically increase. I can understand why the government is doing this, the number of people addicted to ya baa is stagering but if Thaialnd starts executed people on a daily basis (as the arrests seem to happen)they are going to have a lot of trouble dealing with the EU as well as other International agencies. I hope they can figure out a way to solve this problem but it doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon.

Hi V,

Nobody cares all that much IMHO. Trade with China and S'pore is not affected by death penalties either. Life sentence passed on 16 yo kids in the US doesn't affect trade very much either. And in case the number of inmates in the US continues to increase at the current rate, everybody will be in prison by 2020.

So err ... What was your point again ?

They have a campain calling it the "stupid pill" or something and they sacrifice some scapegoats. Controlling what ever is going down near the Birmese border seems like trying to control the Ho Chi Min route.

What would *you* suggest they should do ?

Take care

Hi!

Warlock30

quote:

Who the hell cares what the EU thinks.

Quite a few actually. Ukraine has recently abolished capital punishment so they can be candidates for EU membership.

quote:

I don't care what Europe does with it's criminals and would kindly appreciate it if they would keep their holier-than-thou opinions to themselves when it comes to how other Democracies deal with lawbreakers.

Although we probably have different views on the death penalty I'm with you on this one. All nations in the world have a supreme right to run their own country without anyone else telling them how. I feel the same as you when American bible thumpers whine about abortion laws in other countries (mine included). Also I feel the same when American posters that the age of consent in their particular state applies to the rest of the world.

You are of course right about the official view in EU. I couldn't reach the web site you refered to but I know for a fact that you are right.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived