Thailand newbie needs help

josh_ingu said:

>heard similar words only last Night..........

You should not have. "Responsible" counciling should not include "life style" judgements. What it should do is inform you of the risks of different practices and ways to minimize (or eliminate) those risks. For example, telling gays not be be gay is both socially unacceptable as well as impractical. Responsible counciling for example would *not* say "don't do anal intercourse", but would say "if you do, use an appropriate condom" (i.e. thicker and stronger and designed for that practice).

-j-

I thought that was what Ribbed Condoms are for ... Give them more traction in the dirt!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"So let?s hear from people who personally know guys who are HIV positive that fall into this group."

Ok, I know one. Young guy caught it a few (5?) years back in Pattaya.

We also buried one of my wife's friends only 3 months ago. I am fairly certain she died of AIDS (nobody said it out loud of course). She was 32.

Sanuk!

Thanks KS, perhaps you should shift all this over to Health where it belongs. The trouble with a survey would be getting guys to admit that they bonked a lady-boy. Saw a hilarious article in The Nation once where a man preferred to be charged with murder than admit to being with one on Beach road when the crime was committed.

In my four years of coming to Thailand, I have yet to meet a farang who admitts to having HIV or AIDS, nor have I met any farang who has direct knowledge of the same, however my Thai girlfriends older brother is HIV positive. He claims to have never had sex with anyone other than his wife of three years who is HIV negative but who has a sister who died of AIDS two years ago; go figure.

The following numbers are a result of my own questions and observations in this one small Moo Ban west of Khon kaen.

Out of a population of about 350 adults, eight are afflicted with HIV: five men and three women. Over the last five years, four other residents are known to have died of AIDS.

Each of the infected persons has a single monthly appointment at the district HIV/AIDS clinic sponsered jointly by the government and an NGO. There they receive a check-up and their next months supply of meds. The clinic sees 200+ clients every day, seven days a week.

Do the math and you come up with 5000 to 6000 known cases receiving treatment in this one district. It's anyones guess how many un-diagnosed cases there are.

Interpolate these figures over the rest of Issan where most of the "working girls" come from and a pretty scary figure emerges.

One has to assume that a large percentage of these women have had some sort of sexual relationship with a local male in the past year and that it is generally accepted that most of the local guys aren't inclined to bother with condoms. This leads to the inexcapable conclusion that a lot of the women we go with have at least been exposed to HIV; how many are actually infected or are carriers nobody seems to know, or wants to know.

I have yet to read a survey or study that projects a probability of contracting HIV/AIDS from a particular sex act that I trust. People lie about their sex lives generally and victims of HIV/AIDS are so often in such conflict and denial that i have little faith in the accuracy of their responses to specific questions. I know that three years ago when I thought I had been exposed to AIDS and went to be tested, I lied like a rug; completly unwilling to face my own stupid behavoir.

It is said that there has never been a documented case of HIV being transmitted by a BJ. It is also said that a males chances of contracting the virus from unprotected vaginal sex with an AIDS infected woman is about .01%

Would you buy a B100 ticket for a lottery with a 10 Million baht jackpot that carried those same odds??

Good post dddave, all posts that agree with me are good posts ;-) . Your right about Thais and condoms, they'd cut it off before they would put one of them on it.

Surprisingly AIDS seems to be a lot less prevelant in the Philippines, possibly because they don't seem to have the "lady boy" culture that attracts the gay tourist like Thailand. Also there appears to be a lot less teenage sex in the villages probably because they are Catholics and a lot take it very seriously. I've been in Angeles bars with more than a hundred girls working and over 20 have been cherry girls (virgins). Could you imagine that in Pattaya?

Also, suprisingly, because fewer girls seem to insist on condoms like here.

Good post!! I doubt if it'll change many minds though. It amazes me that some men have a sense of immortality when it comes to patronizing the Thai whores. If you asked one to play Russian roulette with a revolver, they'd think you were nuts for even thinking they might, but the same individual will gamble his life on a few brief minutes of sexual pleasure, and as you pointed out, some insist on riding "bareback" and are willing to pay for taking the risk!!

Many who fall to that temptation will use the excuse that they were too drunk to know what they were doing. BS ! A man may get drunk enough to "not care" what they're doing,, but never too drunk "to not know" what they're doing. If they were that drunk, they wouldn't be able to get it up.

Archived