SEXTOURISM in european literature

One the most prominent european writers, the french writer Michel Houellebecq has writen a novel called PLATFORME which is to be entirely centered around asian sextourism.

The book is considerd a briljant piece of cultural criticism. The writer projects in some extreme way western man and women dealing with each other solely on a functional basis. (like is expressed many times on this board). Houllebeqc presents commercial sex with asian women as the only salvation from modern misery.

The writer who is acclaimed to be a hardcore thailand veteran unfolds an epic which starts with a group tour in thailand..

IN part 2 he describes , like a feverish hallucination, the global development of brothels with asian women in a macdonalds like concept. The market is never satisfied and from this there is more money to be made than from IT technology.

This book is a cynical ode to sex tourism and an exeptional comment on western society

This book provides a solid intellectual defense as basis for the laudatio of sextourism....

I dont know when an english translation will be available...

cgholland from holland

Judging by the reviews, there was another interesting book published recently in Britain - `Sultry Climates: Travel And Sex Since The Grand Tour' by Ian Littlewood (published by John Murray £17.99). I haven't read it myself, but apparently this looks at the historical aspect of sex tourism from the 18th century onwards.

To quote from a review in The Guardian, `The contention is that far from being marginal to tourism, the sexual element is vital. Today's tourists seeking sun, sand and sex follow the same route of reeking breeches and dripping gleets traced by Byron, Boswell and generations of young men who "travelled a whole month together to Venice for a night's lodging with an impudent woman" while supposedly soaking up the glories of ancient civilisations'.

I guess we're not doing anything new guys, I just hope for Byron's sake that the impudent women of Venice were as much fun as the modern-day Asian variety. laugh.gif" border="0

Cgholland,

Just read a review last night on "Platforme"

Statement as "girls have excellent working conditions" (28 working days a month) and "salary is excellent" (6000 to 8000 baht plus what they get when they find a customer, IF they do) and "in a few years they can save enough money to retire" really put me off. That's Bullshit for most of the ladies. Does he really now what he is writing about?

I did not read all of it and am glad my gf who showed me the review did not spent any money on buying the book for me. She almost did yesterday before i got to her place but preferred showing me the review first.

Did you read the book and are these your thoughts?

Still open minded to change my opinion.

quote:

I dont know when an english translation will be available...

I posted that story (with a link to a Guardian article) a week ago. The English translation as well as the Dutch are not expected before september 2002. O well, a good opportunity to brush up on my French...

Regards,

Xenna

Archived