How Can "Mai Mee Arai" Mean "Nothing"??

MooNoi

Old Hippie said:

I forget the movie we were watching in BKK, but the California "Valley Girl" character was saying "...WHAT EVER..." and rolling her head and eyes and it was translated to "Arai Go Dai." The next day, the girl I watched the movie with was rolling her eyes and head and saying "Arai GO DAI!" it was just so cute!

Ugh. It may be cute until you have heard it 1000 times in a week. Daughters have picked up (again) the "what-ev-errr" phrase in a big way since returning to the US.

Cheers,

SD

preahko said:

the problem is you're assuming each word in thai has one exact equivalent in english, and that's simply not the case.

in addition to meaning "what," arai also means "anything," or for that matter "something". all depends on context.

preahko

MooNoi and preahko, I was lucky enough to avoid this conundrum by the way the thinking was introduced to me.

On my very first trip to LOS I was very involved with a girl on hat Lamai Samui.

We would start our evenings before the disco at beer bars discussing our different lives and origins.

We tried to resolve each others problems with our insights. When I tried to resolve her economic problems up country by suggesting that she should take what little she had and capitalize on it , she came back with "Not have something" in her broken english. I thought she was pointing out something was missing in the equation. It wasn't untill I was back in the west that I figured out that she meant "Not have Anything", lol lol lol.

You learn so much from broken english it's amazing.

Archived