March's winners

khunsanuk

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm...bit of a delema for me...how to bitch and brag in the same post...? I noticed I suddenly dropped from 3rd to about 5th in the last few hours of voting...any prizes? wine? beer? a night with Nervous Dog? 2nd place, 2 nights with nervous Dog? :)

5 5 5 5 5 5I lovew it, OH wins when there are no prizes!!!!!

Thanks mate for a cheap "Donation" Kisses and Hugs!

I also saw the drop, not very impressed at all, but let's let it go and move on, work out a way to stop the "spoilers' Fucking things up!

OK - Entries for the End of year comps PLEASE!!!!

"Old Hippie .... He appears to be making silver buttons...good clear photo..." :o

:: I may have been "swayed" by this statement, since everyone knows that OH is an award winning photographer (and author).

Especially because I usually get decent "incentives" to vote for OH's work - feel a bit cheated this time. ::

Boy! What a hotly contested race. Congratulations OH. Now that the results are in I would like to make a few comments since apparently my photo was the cause for some controversy. :o

First, those two women on the tractor are working and the photo is not posed. They were cutting rice that day and driving the tractor was all part of the harvesting operation. However, I understand that driving a tractor may or may not be considered ?traditional work?. More traditional that working on a computer but less than making flint spear heads. Maybe more traditional than making tourist souvenirs ::....I wouldn't be the one to judge.

Obviously there are some contestants the felt the ?traditional work? meant work in the handicraft sense. While I did not consider this prior to entering my photo, after seeing the entries, I tend to agree that some of the photos showing people engaged in handicraft work seemed more in line with the theme. But to suggest, as one member did, that working in the rice field (Entry 9) is not ?traditional work??. ::

So unless someone wants to more strictly define the theme so that disqualifications can be made or the voting made to include separate votes for photo characteristics such as quality, embodiment of the theme, etc. (and it sounds like more complicated voting is not really an attractive alternative), I think it is up to the voters to judge the worthiness of the photos on all its merits.

That said; I find that pejorative comments made during the contest by some show extreme bad taste if not bad sportsmanship. If you want to question a horse race you don?t run out on the track and start complaining. You wait until the race is over and then ask for an inquiry. And to suggest that one should delay voting so that one could in steer the result in one direction or another?hmmmm. Just vote and let it go. I personally didn?t vote because it seems difficult to be objective when you are in the contest but that may be less than helpful given the problem with lack of votes.

It would seem that what is a pretty casual contest for fun that give people an opportunity to share some of their more memorable photos from Thailand has become more serious than is justified. :(

Speaking of Enry 9. I was wondering where that was. The farming technique appear much different that what I have seen in the areas of Thailand I have been to, although I have to admit I have never been in Thailand during the planting season. The fields looked more neat and organized than what I've seen in lower Issan. Pete?

LingNoi said:

Maybe I personally didn?t vote because it seems difficult to be objective when you are in the contest but that may be less than helpful given the problem with lack of votes.

Ling,

It is now customary for participants not to participate in the voting.

But the voting is changing again, so I would expect all rules and details explained soon :p

I was one to criticise the tractor pic, but i was also quick to congratulate your win !

And yes, themes need to be more described and restricted to avoid this kind of discussions.

BB

Archived