March's winners

khunsanuk

It is now customary for participants not to participate in the voting.

It's required that you don't vote for your own photos, that's all, it is desirable to give your vote to all the other photos that have been entered, it helps average out the votes and give a fair assesment of all the photos, the more people who vote, the better. Any contestant not voting, is unwittingly giving their own pic's an unfair advantage by effectively voting 0 to all their competitors submissions while accepting the votes given to them by their competitors.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks BB

I?ve just wanted to express my view that the discussion that went on during the contest was inappropriate. As I said, it seems that the contest became quite competitive. No harm no foul?.

I like this contest because it gives me a chance to go over the hundreds of digital photos I have, of which most are shite, and try to pick out a couple of good ones. And, after I finally figured out that I needed to crop them, trying to improve them is kind of fun (I have tried that color adjustment stuff but it never seems to make things better). Then the big payoff is to see other?s pictures because there are always four or five that are really interesting.

The contest is just a vehicle for this whole process and I don?t think should be blown out of proportion. I understand the view that some of the picture may have embodied ?Traditional Work? more than others. But if it is not clearly defined than I don?t think anyone should be trying to impose their personal definition on the contest. It is something to discuss before or after the contest.

Anyway, enough said. Again, congratulations to OH on the win, I actually thought his other picture with the guy making the basket was probably the best. Maybe we can start by trying to define exactly what the theme ?Nature? is. That has to open to all kinds of interpretation? ::

Not voting does not give anybody a zero. I believe it was already demonstrated that having more or less votes does not necessarily help or hurt you. It just depends on what kind of values you are getting and what the variability is. The one thing that more votes should do is bring the results closer to a more "universal" value, i.e., closer to the "true mean" rating (a little statistical mumbo jumbo to make it sound like I know what I'm talking about).

However, maybe one of the ways to get more votes is to require all contest participants to rate all other entries. But I would like to say that if we go to some alternative voting system, such as PMs to Dog or Limbo, we should not have a running tally visible. There has already been some discussion about the advantage of delaying voting to see how it is going and then voting accordingly to have the most desired affect, presumably to bring down highly rated photos of raise up one the one felt should be doing better. Hardly objective voting.

See OH the squeeky wheel does gets the oil. Congrats blah blah blah but I still think mine were better and within the theme. I've decided from now on to think outside the square with my entries. I feel something arty coming on. :idea:

I believe it was already demonstrated that having more or less votes does not necessarily help or hurt you.

Please enlighten me, the only argument I saw was that a crappy pic with a lot of low votes could win over a good pic with just a few high votes, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. The reality of the contest is that only a few people actually bother to vote, and most of these are the ones who enter the competition in the first place. The result of this is that the voting is very easily distorted by people not voting or by not voting in the spirit of the contest. If 100+ people were voting it would average out, but unfortunatly we don't have that level of support. Maybe we should look at finding independant 'Judges' to pick the winners if we can't get more people voting. :)

Pe7e,

I think it should read 'independant' judges rather independant 'judges', that'll most certainly raise my chances of winning.

Having said that, I rather have a voting system in place since IMO it'll be more objective than judges.

The example you are referring to was if the votes were added up rather than averaged. Currently the votes are averaged and therefore, not voting has no affect other than leaving the entry more vulnerable to being skewed by one vote that doesn't conform to it's particular average.

Archived