Sonkgran Quieter This Year?

Stickman

It?s the first official day of Songkran and the capital is quiet. In the neighbourhood where I live, NO-ONE is out playing. In fact, I could have walked to the nearest major shopping mall, about a mile away, and not got wet at all.

I went for a drive a bit earlier, over to Emporium and back, and there were noticeably less people out throwing water around than usual. Usually the first official morning is a very busy period, but I didn?t see many people out at all. Sure, certain neighbourhoods are much busier than others, some can be a real nightmare ? and I bet Khao Sarn Road is really happening ? but it is nice to see that for anyone who wants to get on with their life in other neighbourhoods, things *seem* quieter this year than previous years.

Stick

Can concur from what I have seen from my outings so far today, all very low key away from the usual hotbeds or should that be weteds. At home not a drop of water to be seen, a couple of "bucket stations" set up in front of the port, on the tollway the only "powdered" vehicles were Taxi's and minibuses thet had obviously just come from Sukhumvit.

Rnagsit was dry, and later on when we went to sister in laws Lad Prao was also quite, I may even venture out on foot after sunset.

I am not looking forward to next Monday when I am back in Pattaya, it never seems to stop there.

Hi,

Seems that not everything in BKK is quiet though :(

Just spoke to a colleague on MSN. She just got back after getting attacked.

She'd left her condo on Asoke together with her husband (Japanese guy) and on the way to the skytrain they were accosted by a dozen drunk guys. She told him to please not throw water as they had business to attend to.

Obviously these assholes didn't care and proceded to thoroughly soak her. Her husband got pissed and cursed them, which of course prompted these assholes to try and beat him up! They even threw a big water tank at them which just missed her head.

Sanuk!

The Silom/Patpong area seems to have a normal turnout and action. It's a gauntlet lined with people you can't walk very far without being soaked and face patted with powder. The "ban" on ice and powder has had no effect whatsoever as one might expect.

Wonderful in Khon Kaen and area west. Yesterday the locals were already having fun even though it was a day early, but very respectful and not dousing people who were shopping at local markets etc.

In Khon Kaen City today it was wild but not out of hand. Outside Violin Karaoke near the Sofitel they had a foam machine going non-stop.

I am not missing the drunken louts in Bangkok (you know who you are) who insist on blasting everyone as hard and as cold as inhumanely possible.

I would NEVER spend another Songkran in Pattaya unless my only other option was downtown Baghdad, and even then it would be a tough call...

Ya, I rode my motocy from Thonglor to Cowboy via the back sois and did not get wet once. But before I got to Cowboy, I doubled back to 33 and got wet. But they were very respectful and asked me (with hand motions) to stop and asked it if were OK to splash and powder me. Where I did not stop they did not throw water as I rode by.

But later, going home from Cowboy I did get splashed a few times as I sped by on Sukhumvit.

Maybe quieter, but my Thonglor 'hood was always quiet, so I cannot judge.

Cowboy was the normal free-for-all and seemed quite crowded. Good fun, too.

Cheers,

SD

I wasn't out much today because I was out late last night, but in NEP I noticed that many of the BGs - particularly the better looking ones - were gone. Rainbow 4 is usually so packed with girls that there is hardly room for them to move, but not last night.

Those better looking BGs that were woking were getting bar fined early. Fearing that it would only get worse, I bar fined one relatively early in the evening. She didn't want a short time; she wanted to go clubbing (Song Kran effect). We had a blast last night, and I am still suffering from it this evening.

My guess, the better looking BGs earn enough to bar fine themselves for Song Kran or are shrewd enough to get a Farang to sponsor a Song Kran holiday for them.

Archived