The truth: my voting in the photo contests

New Petchburi Pete

There has been much discussion about the way some people vote in the photo contests, and with respect to that, I feel at this time I should step forward and make the following statement.

In the first couple of photo contests I entered and voted in, I acted immaturely and voted in an inappropriate manner. I may have had a few drinks which might have facilitated my misbehavior. I voted my entries with the highest rating and those of other contestants very lowly. Khun Sanuk, being the sleuth he is, noticed this and brought it to my attention. When I asked him if others voted in a similar fashion, he said that approximately 30% of the entrants did the same. Well, I came to realize that this practice was wrong, and also totally unfair to fellow participants. Yet, I still failed to completely reform. In one other contest (spirit houses I believe), I had my wife register as a member, submit a couple of entries and had her vote. She, loving me as she does, voted my two entries the highest, which, however, I realized was not fair. So thought Khun Sanuk as well. Truth be told, I had her enter to boost the number of entries as I was concerned about the low numbers. In all honesty, I was not even in the room when she voted, nor, did I try to influence her voting. She has not entered or voted in any other contests since that time, nor will she in the future. Feeling guilty about my voting indiscretions, I declined to accept any prize for one contest I had won (forget which one). And, since that time, I?ve really tried to vote fairly.

Recently, it came to my attention that there was dismay and discussion regarding the way I voted in the last contest centered on ?traditional work.? In my defense, trust me when I say that I did nothing purposely wrong, nor was anything inappropriate in the manner in which I voted. Those who know me understand that I know very little about computers. As I have said previously to KS, each and every time I log onto the NanaPlaza site from my home computer (which is seriously screwed up) I get an error message informing me that there are problems with the web page; and, that it won't display or function properly. Maybe this is related to my copy of XP. However, up until the time that I voted in the ?traditional work? contest, I never noticed any problems. Normally, I view the photos and vote from internet cafes because my internet connection at home is so damn slow, plus I get frequent disconnections, etc. When the contest was held for ?temples,? I was ill and unable to get out. I must have tried a hundred times to send entries to KS from my computer at home; but, I was not able to due to my connection ?and, the best photos I?ve taken in Thailand may well be of temples. Maybe the ?spirits? were extracting some revenge for my errant behavior?

I had become ill due to a cardiac arrhythmia problem in early February; and, the problem was not resolved until I had a successful electrical cardioversion at Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital on April 18th. During that period, I did not get out much; and, I tried to vote in the contest for ?traditional work? from my home computer, which later proved to be a serious mistake, one that KS & ND brought to my attention. Honestly, somehow my votes that were recorded were not ascribed to the photos I was viewing. Proof of this lies in my post regarding the photo of the guy (very nice photo that I never would have given a "one" to ? by Old Hippie I believe and the one which won?) who was doing some basket weaving. My comment is something like "what are they exactly doing for work?" and, yet, the photo is of a single guy not of a group or "they!" I do remember seeing a photo where there was a group of individuals who appeared not to be doing any work at all; and, to this photo my "one" should have been recorded. I can't explain what went wrong other than what I have just recounted. Moreover, I've barely been on the site lately due to my illness; and, after seeing the ?one? vote for that beautiful photo, frankly, I didn?t want to see any more. I felt truly bummed out and tremendously disappointed that ?somehow? my votes got seriously screwed up. At the time I voted, I did not even know the voting was closing; and, I don't believe I even got to vote for all photos. Also, I?d like to point out that when I voted I was sober. I have been on warfarin (anticoagulant) for months and have not had a single drink in that period. Months ago, I quit alcohol altogether for health reasons. I do sometimes wake up in the wee hours due to severe back pain; and, I do use my computer at what would appear to be odd hours. But, honestly, that's when my connection seems to work best. However, I do not remember at what time I voted; and, that wouldn?t solve the problem my browser seems to have with this web site and with a few others as well. The whole matter regarding my voting in the ?traditional work? contest was a mistake and a damn shame. I did nothing wrong intentionally despite however my voting may have appeared. I hope you?ll believe me when I say that I respect all participants (and all board members I know for that matter) and I would never (beyond the early ?irregularities? first admitted to) act in any manner to violate the spirit of the contests. To those who may have been negatively affected by the errors which my computer recorded in my voting, I sincerely apologize. At any rate, my explanation was not accepted; and, I have been banned from voting in future contests. This saddens me; but, I will play by the rules. Again, in all honesty, the erratic voting resulted somehow from computer error (thank you Dell ? it?s been a lemon since the day I got it) not from intentional wrongdoing on my behalf.

:dunno::cover::bow:

NP,

O.k. no worry, just concentrate on your health, best to you with the new work! :) And I am sure we can all forgive you...hell, I even forgive WTFG and SSG...sort of...no wait, still pretty bitter about that actually...but the contest is small beans! Still loive you, but not in a 2 cowboys in Montana sort of way... :)

Hey WYD,

You never know; but, I saw it as an humanity issue ... we are all human after all, aren't we? It's also all about being fair. If a contest is to be valid, all who enter or vote should play fairly. Still, I shall maintain my innocense with respect to what appeared to be rather bizarre voting in the "traditional work" contest ... somehow, and I cannot explain how or why, it was due to computer error ... nothing intentional on my behalf.

An interesting sidelight to all of this is that with the new "Thai360" test site, my browser does not display any error box when I visit that site. It always was a random problem. It happened with a few sites, not all ... but always with the NanaPlaza site ... and now, sometimes, but not always, with Hotmail as well.

I should have added that I do not blame either KS or ND for the decision to ban me from voting. After all, I do believe that I was warned after the initial 'discrepancies' were observed. They were blatant; and, no attempt was made to conceal them. I think in the beginning I actually saw it as a way of joking ... fairly easy to do with themes like "soi dogs;" but, then the contests obviously became more serious, and so did my voting patterns. Like I said, the matter was a shame ... but, I am not ashamed of, nor to blame for, the errors of my computer's ways. Then again, I don't believe I'm the first to maintain my innocense on the way to the guillotine!

Archived