What do you read?

Julian2

I?ve been watching the threads on movies and wondered any one would be interested in a similar one on books and writers. I?ve got 300 DVD movies and 70 something TV channels but still manage a book a week. Used to be two before I got the internet on.

My favourite American writer would be Larry McMurtry, particularly the Lonesome Dove series. Texasville would be the best book about a man woman relationship I?ve read.

Other Americans, Stephen King?s The Stand, and It. Joseph Wambaugh?s police books, Some of John Irving. Going back a while, Robert Ruark, most out of print now. W.E.B Griffin?s The Corp series. (Still looking for IX and X in the Chiang Mai book shops.)

English writers, George McDonald Fraser?s Flashman series, and Mr American, another good book about a man getting fucked over by a woman. Bernard Cornwell and Leslie Thomas for light reading on air flights.

No translations sorry, and the only ?serious? writers, Steinbeck and some Hemingway.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I read every night for about 30-60 minutes, almost exclusively Fantasy.

Have read most of the work from David Eddings, R.A. Salvatore, Terry Brooks. Read all parts (so far) of 'The Wheel of Time' from Robert Jordan and the 'Sword of Truth' series by Terry Goodkind.

Sanuk!

while in LOs i read "The Good Women of China. Hidden Voices" from Xinran.

(German Version, of course).

Xinran Xue hosted a daily radio phone-in programme for Radio Nanjing during which she discussed (Chinese) women's lives, and invited women to call in and talk about themselves.She felt as if she was opening a tiny window into a huge fortress whose inhabitants had never before communicated with the outside world.

http://www.amazon.de/exec/...

[shortened URL description - KS]

I used to be Jack Ryan supporter but his last 2 or 3 books are almost unreadable , pure boredom .

Now switched to Wilbur Smith , fantastic writer . One has to read all this in English , otherwise much less fun .

Appointed supplier Asia Books , Landmark Hotel.

BuBi

May I draw the comunity's attention on a forthcoming project :

Author : Buffalo_Bill

Title : The Isaan Woman

Archived