What do you read?

Julian2

Mekong,

You mentioned Orwell's "1984".

I read it a few years back expecting it just to be some harangue against big government. Turns out it is a literary masterpiece IMO. A very intense depiction of a man against an overwhelming and immovable power that controlled even his thoughts. And there was no happy ending either. Would recommend 1984 to evryone.

I'm surprised no one mentioned The DaVinci Code. The book has been on the bestseller list for months so how is it that no one reads it? Anyway, a farang girl gave it to me to read saying it would open my eyes. I made it through the first hundred pages, now it props up my flat panel monitor. What a relentless piece of junk reminds me to avoid best sellers.

The Stones Cry Out by Molyda Szymusiak is my current bed time story. Memoir written by survivor of the khmer Rouge.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MaiLuk said:

Mekong,

You mentioned Orwell's "1984".

I read it a few years back expecting it just to be some harangue against big government. Turns out it is a literary masterpiece IMO. A very intense depiction of a man against an overwhelming and immovable power that controlled even his thoughts. And there was no happy ending either. Would recommend 1984 to everyone.

I'm surprised no one mentioned The DaVinci Code. The book has been on the bestseller list for months so how is it that no one reads it? Anyway, a farang girl gave it to me to read saying it would open my eyes. I made it through the first hundred pages, now it props up my flat panel monitor. What a relentless piece of junk reminds me to avoid best sellers.

The Stones Cry Out by Molyda Szymusiak is my current bed time story. Memoir written by survivor of the khmer Rouge.

I went into what the wife reads at present, my own rediscovery, Da Vinci Code is too deep at the moment, she only just realises that the Meaaning of Life 9 X 6 = 42, but no one makes jokes in base 13 anymore.

1984 is the crap I had to discect to get a grade in English literature, but looking back on it a quarter of a centurary on through fresh eyes, it is still a book that asks questions and makes me think, a painful process in itself.

Who says one cant have discussions with a Thai ::

MaiLuk said:

I got through a few chapters in the book shop then my legs gave out. Can't understand what all the fuss is about....must be a lot of bored lapsed Catholics out there. :)

I like biographies, and first person narratives. I just finished "Under and Alone" writen by an ATF Agent who went undercover in the Monguls Motorcycle club...sad is, he spent 2 years with them, rose to the position of Chapter vice president, his family suffered, and they only got a few petty busts, and didn't even dent the club...Law enforcement is just plain dumb at times...decent book sort of...kinda...

I also Like ALL of Hunter S. Thompson's books, Some of Steven Wolfe's, and even a few of the old Classics from Thomas Hardy. A favorite book that seems to speak to a certain ilk is "Don Quixote."

For an interesting and fun read, check out "drinking smoking and screwing" which is a collection of essays on vice, some rather comical...

BB,

Yeah, some very interesting stuff in that book. Huge read, and I really learned a lot I didn't know anything about from it. If you like history like I do, especially obscure history, or Chinese history, this is a good one to check out. BB and I both recommend it! :-) He came up with some off the wall stuff that is very hard to prove I think though, at least I heard that the mainstream 'western' academics are not taking his book that serious. But they have agendas of their own don't they? :-) I like his perspective as a British Naval officer, and I think submarine commander it was? And he really researched the subject as well as he could, but he did extrapolate a lot to make the data fit his own ideas I felt at times. But a good read. Not for those looking for a 'light' read though. I missed the National Geographic movie that was made using this book as the story. Hopefully I'll catch it one day.

For those talking about the DaVinci Code, well, I thought that was crap really, and if you've followed the recent news of the lawsuit (which I think was needed, as Brown stole half of his book from another I feel) the book they were talking about that Brown stole his basic material from was a MUCH better book, although very very academic and a hard read for those who don't like a lot of data and are looking for a plot. :-) Forget the name of the damned book now, something about Blood and Christ I think. Fascinating stuff though I thought (of course the Vatican didn't like it at all) and I found a lot of it plausible at least. It does bring up some good questions, and I really would love to know/read more about Jesus' family, brothers and sisters and all that. I've never seen anyone try to trace his family line really (at least I have never run across a book on it), and it is known he had brothers at least I think I have read.

Cent

Archived