20 things I love about Cambodia

Ranger

Other than #1, these are in no particular order

1. Viet girls-everything else is a distant 2nd! No explanations necessary.

2. Khmer girls-I often find the Khmers to be more beautiful and passionate than the Viets, but they usually lack the skill and enthusiasum in one important area that is vital to me.

3. Riding my motorbike around Phnom Penh in the daytime-Now that I no longer get lost, it's especially fun. It's also quite a challenge negotiating the maze of traffic that flows every which way with little regard to traffic laws.

4. Riding my motorbike around Phnom Penh at night-Much more fun than the daytime. Whatever traffic laws there may be in the daytime don't exist at night. Red lights are merely a suggestion. Little traffic, so you can race around at dangerous speeds with no regard for your safety! Nothing beats racing back to the hotel from Martini's of Sharkey's with a girl or girls on the back of your bike!

5. The ride out to K11-Anyone that has only made this trip in a car is missing out on one of lifes great experiences. It has to be experienced on a bike! The first time I made this trip, I was awestruck and overwhelmed by the surreal experience. The 30th or so time I made this trip, it was still amazing!

6. Sitting on the couch inside one of the K11 brothels and listening to the girls tell me the penis sizes and sexual techniques of all my friends! "X is big, Y is small, Z is not small and not big". I won't embarrass the person that one girl said was "small, same-same you"!

7. Sitting in Sharkey's or Martini's surrounded by half a dozen lovelies and no mention of "you buy me cola?" or "pay bar".

8. Having your ear cleaned by a girls tongue even though it is covered in the red dust that coats your body after a long motorbike ride. On second thought, maybe that's just gross!

9. Doing 5 ST's in one day for roughly the cost of one ST plus BF in BKK. And all 5 were fabulous experiences with very attractive girls.

10. Sitting at the outdoor cafe at K11 and just watching the girls at #14 and #15 and eating a cheap and good lunch. I would like a BLT sandwich. "Would you like tomato on that?" Sure, why not.

11. Meeting fellow travelers and swapping stories. You meet quite a cross section of people while sitting at K11, Sharkey's and Martini's. Some good and some less than savory characters.

12. The Cambodian people-Thailand may have the title of "Land of Smiles", but they have nothing on Cambodia. It's amazing that people that have so little and have such a horrible recent past can be so happy and friendly.

13. The children of K11-no I'm not talking about the brothel girls! I have great fun handing out candy and buying them food snacks and talking and joking with the kids here.

14. The breaded pork chops and mashed taters at the Last Home Guest House. Just like my mother never used to make! 3 bucks, too!

15. The sight of Independence Monument at night all lit up with red and blue lights. Breathtaking!

16. Arriving at Martini's and hearing "Siirrr, siirrr" and looking down at Basket Boy who stands (sits?) about a foot tall. OK, I stole that one from Ferret. I gave him 500R each night. Ferret gives him a buck.

17. The staff at the Princess Hotel. Sure there are better and cheaper hotels, but everyone here knows me and takes care of me. Extra towels and pillows, etc. and always a friendly greeting. No hassle with the myriad of girls coming in and out of the rooms.

18. Viet Girls-Oh, did I already mention that one?

19. The fact that I'll be back here in September! (Who wants to come?)

20. Almost forgot one the biggies! Happy Pizza!!!!!!!!

Anyone care to add to the list?

Ranger

Here's a few more

21. The screams of the girls as you arrive in Koh Kong red zone street. True pop star experience that every sanuker should try.

22. Watching local girls in Sihanookville walking into the sea in full evening wear.

23. Watching the sunset over Victory Beach, Sihanookville

24. The excitement and fear of riding around Phomn Penh late at night.

25. Toul Sleng museum, a humble experience that makes you think "There but for the grace of god go I", and i'm not even religious.

26. Laughing at the stuck up NGO workers in the Heart of Darkness bar.

27. Wandering round Ta Prohm at Angkor, clambering over the ruins discovering a new courtyard overgrown by banyans and undergrowth every way you turn. Despite increasing in popularity and seeing planeloads of tourists, Angkor is still pretty spectacular.

28. Playing Rambo for a day at the shooting range outside PP, where else can you fire off full auto AKs and throw hand grenades? Not in Europe certainly. It's not cheap but fun the first time.

29. Those Viet girls again!

All the best bits seem to have been mentioned already.

I don't want to be negative, but I heard that the number of tourists at Angkor has DOUBLED since I was there last year. Ouch. Get there quick, before it is a total zoo.

Smug NGOs in The Heart of Darkness Bar? That image is enough to even get a wimp like me in the frame of mind to kick some serious ass. Would the local authorities have any qualms with me, in case I do go over there to teach these Euro-faggots a lesson, or two? wink.gif" border="0

i read your july 16 trip report about pattaya, went to the roxy club to check out the tall stunner. she was there, and what a beauty! unfortunately, she was sitting with an old coot that was trying to make a beer last 3 hours.

i got her mobile number. called her at 6:45pm to see what time she'd be at work the next day. she said she was going back to korat the next day, wouldn't be coming back to pattaya to work. she said to come see her at 8pm. i got there at 8, she was gone, nobody knew if she left with a man or to go eat. 'sit down, drink'. waste of time and money, all the others were old and fat.

that's the way it goes here, they can't remember an appointment for an hour and 15 minutes. why do i never have this problem with km11? why do i NEVER have ANY problems with km11?

k11fan,

I just got an E-mail from her today. Said she was back in Korat and staying with her boyfriend, but would come and "visit" me in Pattaya next week. Gotta feel sorry for the boyfriend, or maybe not. I too never have any problems at K11. Just posted my latest Cambo trip report.

Ranger

• 2 weeks later...

Ranger,

Great list. I would love to rent a motobike when i return to Cambodia, but have some concerns.

1. Is is safe to ride them at night?

2. Do the police or locals hassle you if you

have a girl (or 2) on the back?

3. How do keep from getting it stolen when

you park it and go in a club?

I admire your sense of adventure.

Shotover

quote:

Originally posted by shotover:

Ranger,

Great list. I would love to rent a motobike when i return to Cambodia, but have some concerns.

1. Is is safe to ride them at night?

2. Do the police or locals hassle you if you

have a girl (or 2) on the back?

3. How do keep from getting it stolen when

you park it and go in a club?

I admire your sense of adventure.

Shotover

Shotover,

1: It's safer in one sense to ride at night as there is little traffic, although you better know where you are going (I ride fast and nobody has ever bothered me).

2: Never been hassled by the police or anyone else for having a girl on the back of the bike. You will get some smiles and looks from the younger men. The police will try and pull you over to extort money sometimes, but not because you have a girl (I just keep on going and ignore them-when I have stopped before usually the "fine" is $1).

3: You will have a chain and padlock with the bike. I use it less and less and have never had a problem. If the bike does disappear, it'll cost you $600 (for the small bike) to get your passport back.

This does require a big sense of adventure. On my first trip, when my buddy told me that we were going to ride motorbikes, I though he was nuts. Now, I wouldn't do it any other way.

I would suggest only doing this if you know your way around really well or are with somebody who does.

Ranger

I generally Pay $5-7 from a place on Monivong boulevard, head away from the thai embassy, go past the turning for central market and about 5-700metrs on your right is a place. Youll see the bikes outside on the pavement.

Archived