whats yr favorite restaurant

Fatbastard

I found Pita Pan in Suk soi 35 last weekend. Never been there before. Not expensive and I am a big fan of mediterranean food so perfect place for me.

Gullivers is also a long time favourite for western food and nice casual atmosphere. For Thai food I don't have any favourite places in Bangkok, paenaeng gai or chicken with basil leaves which are my favourites taste the same anyway in almost every place :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Gullivers is also a long time favourite for western food and nice casual atmosphere."

Gullivers and nice western food ? ::I and almost everbody I know thinks the food, western or otherwise is rubbish at Gullivers. So just shows we all need something different.

I'm with ya on that Fatty.

Anyway, here are a few favs (no particular order) in the normal farang ghetto areas for the ease of our tourist friends. None are what I would call expensive (most less than B400/person unless noted).

• Middle Eastern -- Restaurant-Shishah Nasir in the "Gaza Strip"
  • Korean -- Erawhon on Suk soi 31
  • Thai -- Admakers on soi Lang Suan (also live music) or Anna's Garden & Groove Kitchen on Thonglor (not to be confused with Anna's the chain)
  • Greasy Burgers -- Roadhouse beerbar in the NEP carpark
  • BBQ -- Blu Bar-B-Q on Suk soi 33 (third sub soi on the left from Suk) or Great American Rib Co on Suk soi 38
  • American -- Bourbon St.
  • International -- The Garden on Suk soi 51 (go for the Brazilian buffet on offer Fri & Sat only)
  • Japanese -- Hanamizu in Washington Sq (two doors away from Bourbon St) or the pricier Uomasa on Thonglor soi 13 in the Nihonmura
  • Pizza/Pasta -- Basilico on Suk soi 33 or the Madrid on Patpong (most for old times sake)
  • Chinese -- Shanghai Restaurant (tho' the name is not in English) in the first sub-soi on the right off Suk soi 41 (the restaurant closest to the entrance of the sub-soi)
  • German -- Bei Otto on Suk soi 20
  • Indian -- New Bukhara on Suk at soi 7 or the pricier Rang Mahal in the Rembrandt on Suk soi 20

OK, that's enough for now.

Cheers,

SD

nice list, Suadam!

>Greasy Burgers -- Roadhouse beerbar in the NEP carpark

okay, I'll admit, I don't know the names of a lot of the first floor bar beers in nana, but man, you've got me totally stumped with this one...Roadhouse?? and they sell burgers?? can you give the approximate location in NEP?

for quality burgers--the closest you get to a decent burger in the US--I haven't found anywhere to top Big Mango, second floor NEP in the front, right side as you walk in (up the "escalator", heheh, and do a U-turn). only 60 baht during happy hour (sans fries). they actually cook them on a real grill, and not floating in cooking oil like everywhere else in thailand.

that said, I'm also a fan of the super-grease burgers the guy sells later at night on the cart as you enter NEP on the right...though I suspect they taste better the drunker one is...never had one sober!

preahko

preahko said:

nice list, Suadam!

>Greasy Burgers -- Roadhouse beerbar in the NEP carpark

okay, I'll admit, I don't know the names of a lot of the first floor bar beers in nana, but man, you've got me totally stumped with this one...Roadhouse?? and they sell burgers?? can you give the approximate location in NEP?

OK, NEP used to be a strip mall place, U-shaped. The middle of the U was a carpark. With me?

Now in this old carpark, are 2-3 beer bars. The first one is Pharoah, the next one is ?? and the last is Roadhouse. Or maybe the 2nd one is Roadhouse and the last one is I dunno. Regardless, look for Roadhouse and they do burgers and some other limited menu items. And the burgers are good, better than the burger cart guy's.

Of course, I have not been to NEP in a long time because I hate the area more than I love the burgers LOL! So maybe it has changed. But I doubt it.

Cheers,

SD

preahko said:

for quality burgers--the closest you get to a decent burger in the US--I haven't found anywhere to top Big Mango, second floor NEP in the front, right side as you walk in (up the "escalator", heheh, and do a U-turn).

The burger in Big Mango is a littlebit better than the one in Gulliver's but the surroundings in Gulliver's make that up. And the Gullie's burger ain't bad, I always ask for a little cup of Thousand Island sauce with the burger. And spaghetti Bolognese is also tasty with garlic bread. But everyone has their tastes, right? :)

Good Thai and cheap is on Sukhumvit just after Asoke heading towards nana left side , in a little soi called Madam Sudas, best Larg in town.

Seafood, down soi 55 left side near witches tavern a greasy spoon but good seafood and cheap. Its always packed with Thai elite.

Hamburgers at the lone star made by baby cookie

Archived