[Q] BKK -- Phnom Penh by car, a good idea?

Straycat

A quick question, if anyone would be kind to advise.

I am thinking about going from BKK to Phnom Penh by rental car. I've never been in Cambodia before (or in the East of Thailand). Is this a good idea? Or is there something I should know about beforehand?

I would be grateful for any input!

Drive to PP in a rental car!! LOL! Wave goodbye to your deposit if they agree at all, plus you would have serious difficulties persuading the border guys at both sides to let you through, I'm not sure it's permissable, and if so it's certain to cost. The roads are not surfaced at all, just dirt, it's one long series of interconnecting potholes from Poipet to PP.

I did the trip last September from Poipet to Siem Reap in the back of a pickup and it was a mudbath, that short trip took 10 hours, there were bridges down, vehicles stuck fast. Don't even think about it. The road from SR to PP is apparently not much better. If you were responsible for the vehicle it would be a nightmare, you'd lose your exhaust from frequent groundings in the deep ruts and punctures are almost inevitable. I didn't believe the roads could be as bad as people said they were until I saw it.

If I were you I'd forget the idea. Hope this helps!

If you really insist you will need a 4WD and a lot of bottle. I too doubt if you, as a farang will be allowed to "export" a vehicle.

Let us know if you do manage.

• 4 weeks later...

God bless you if you want to drive from BKK to PNH.You should travel on summer or winter not rainny season because roads in Cambodia are very suck.It's better if you go to Poi Pet-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh.Enjoy your trip.

Archived