Luggage Tampering

ultras67

A word of warning for folk with these new zipper style bags you see everywhere for sale in shops now. zip bag

Like many people I bought one as it was light and relatively cheap ( compared to the Samsonite style heavy combination lock style )samsonite

I travelled from Phnom Penh to Melbourne via KL and on arrival in Melbourne I discovered someone had snipped off the tabs of the zip and had gone through my bag. As far as I can tell nothing was taken but it was obvious it had been gone through.

On the way back from Melbourne to KL I bought another padlock and put it through the actual rings of the two interlocking zips. This time, the padlock was opened and put on the outer set of zip tabs! I did have stuff taken unfortunately and am currently trying to claim it back.

Customs in KL and OZ confirmed that they would not damage a bag like this to investigate a bag.

Since coming home, a few people have commented that they also have had the zips pulled off, twisted or otherwise damaged and bags opened.

It may be more expensive but a good solid suitcase seems to be better in the long run, Whether the use one of these cellophane wrapping services would guarantee hassle free travel or not I dont know.

Yes, I also see a lot of stealing from luggage.

Flying out from the USA, if we lock our bags with a non-TSA approved lock and the TSA wants to "inspect" the luggage, they cut off the lock(s).

I just purchased a set of approved TSA locks, so will see how that works. I used to leave my luggage opn when flying out of the USA and have had things go missing. I hope the TSA locks will help.

I once lost one baht of gold from my luggage in Sydney airport, I first later found out why the security tape was placed beside and not over the opening. Only time ever happened that I lost anything and I've been a frequent traveller since 1977. So my guess is that they scanned and opened it in Melbourne.

I have had my lock cut several times upon inspection I guess.

I often leave my electrical razor in the bag and it may look suspicious upon xray.

That by the way is the most valuable item I would ever leave in my bag. And these days I just leave the bag unlocked.

Anyone wanting to go through my bag, I wish them luck, especially after my trip. They will have the pleasure of dealing with my dirty laundry.

cheers

hua nguu

Archived